Poll - Pen design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silver Parts Pen Kit, but which type of blank?

• High end watch parts on carbon fiber

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • Decal on wood

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • M3 Titanium

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Ebony

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Something else...pls post below if something else...

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ladycop322

So, a very generous man on the forum donated a silver pen parts kit for my nephew Benjamin's auction. A couple of months ago (maybe more, I lose track of time a lot), I posted about Benjamin, my 2 year old nephew with an inoperable brain tumor, who was going through weekly chemo to shrink it.

I cannot decide which type of blank to make for this beautiful sterling silver pen. I need your help. Should I make it a watch parts pen? A solid black ebony? Titanium? I just want something that is one-of-a-kind and exquisite. So, I am taking a poll to get ideas on what to do....I really need to get started on this....

UPDATE ON BENJAMIN:

Well, it has been three months and the first MRI was performed. The tumor did not grow but also did not shrink. He will continue the chemo. He is continuing to lose weight as well. One day at a time, right?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

In this case I think the centerpiece would be the silver components. Possibly the ebony would be good. I'd go simple but elegant. Think of a simple black cocktail dress and a single strand of pearls. Understated elegance!

If this pen is for an auction you want to get the most for it, watch parts consistently bring high prices. It you need a high end watch face I have one coming I would donate, just let me know.

Mike

TonyW

I agree with Mr Vic, except that after the troubles I've had with real Ebony I would go with one of the artifial / synthetics instead. It would be a major shame to risk something as special as this with a wood known to be prone to splitting, as happened to me recently. If you still want to go with wood, then Blackwood may be a better choice as it is more stable and black, whereas Ebony is actually black with dark brown streaks.

Best of luck!

jttheclockman

I will vote for a watch part pen with a black barrel. The watch part pens will bring the most money at an auction because they have not been seen by many. The lower barrel I would do some segmenting with ebony and aluminum or ivory. Now if you use a colored watch face i would match the colored segmenting to the watch face.

Or maybe you too can do as that Dale did on FB and made a abalone and watch part pen and then sold it for over $4000.

RedBeard

I'm with the Keep it Simple way of thinking. An understated elegance can appeal to more than one demographic.

Top Bottom