Polishing brass shells?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

I have recently started to turn a lot of fifty caliber pens. I like to use my stubs and scraps :) They have sold well, but I was wondering how to get the casing really clean and shiny. I can get most of the gunpowder residue off with some six hundred sand paper, but the pen still is just a large hunk of dull brass.

I know there are a million metal polishes out there, has anyone else solved this problem?

Cheers,
Randy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

Randy...

I use Brasso metal polish. I made a small jig so that I can spin and polish the shell casings on my lathe. For small scratches I have used 0000 steel wool.

Wade

Donovan

I have a 50 BMG so I have no shortage of new Brass. Even new they have small nicks and marks on them. I have a universal shell holder that I put in the lathe and use 1200 wet & dry auto paint sanding paper to get rid of all the marks. Then off to the buff, just be careful as the cases gets very hot very quick. Once I get a mirror finish on the case I wash in acetone to get rid of all the oil and buff compound. Dry the cases with some compressed air and spray with automotive clear coat.

glycerine

I used some mothers mag & aluminum polish. Worked great for brass too! I mounted my casings between centers and polished them on the lathe. Came out great with no sanding or anything either...

PTsideshow

Reloaders do use vibratory tumblers, for cleaning of the residue out of and off the casings. Walnut shells and corn cob along with a semi liquid polish can brighten them up some.

I have the HF version it is a dry tumbler, and have used it with good effect on some small brass items and dirty, greasy, nuts,bolts etc. to good effect. It does take some time when using the tumblers as it time intensive process.
Might give it a try with the hand full of 50 cal casing I picked up.
:clown:

lorbay

I have recently started to turn a lot of fifty caliber pens. I like to use my stubs and scraps :) They have sold well, but I was wondering how to get the casing really clean and shiny. I can get most of the gunpowder residue off with some six hundred sand paper, but the pen still is just a large hunk of dull brass.

I know there are a million metal polishes out there, has anyone else solved this problem?

Cheers,
Randy
I file most of the heavy dings and dents out first, then work from 220 up to the MM grits and get a mirror finnish.

Lin.

Top Bottom