Polish for CA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nickfff

Hello,
What polish do you use to polish CA?

I am wondering if thier is a polish that is finer then novus 2 and will give an additional shine...

Thanks...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Hello,

I am wondering if thier is a polish that is finer then novus 2 and will give an additional shine...

Thanks...

That is what I use. I go through the numbers wet sanding with micro mesh that finish with Novus 2 and wipe clean and buff with Novus 1.

Bruce

johnnycnc

I use Micro Gloss after Novus type polish or 12k MM.
find it here:http://arizonasilhouette.com/Buffing_Supplies.htm
I do not use a buffing wheel, but do it on the blank right on lathe.
a moist applicator (paper towel) seems to work best for me.
In my opinion, the micro gloss helps get rid of tiny swirls that only show up under
very strong light, and/or magnification.Works great on acrylics, too.
I'm sure you will have lots of replies, but that's my 2 cents.:)

keithkarl2007

just thought you were from overseas like us, we can't get many polishes or finishes sent to us because some of them are too flammable to send airmail

marcruby

Hut (or anything like it) works fine as long as the finish has a reasonable build. It's also a great way to find out if the wood wasn't completely filled, speaking sarcastically.

Marc

Texatdurango

Hello,

Thanks...
Since everyone is answering question one, I'll take a shot at question #2.

On the label of Novus #2 is says it's a "fine scratch remover" which would make one think there is something finer like the Novus #1 "Clean and Shine" but I have yet to see #1 add anything to the blank after using #2.

Using both 10x and 20x loups I have experimented by applying #3 Novus followed by #2 polish with a paper towel to a spinning solid black acrylic blank then applied various other polishes mentioned above including my favorite Flitz polish but I can see no improvement over the #2 with anything I have tried. I even tried some marble polish I got with my RV countertops but it doesn't seem to add any lustre to the blanks. I tried the same thing to a wood blank finished with CA after allowing it to cure and harden for a day with the same results.

My conclusion is that if someone wants a pen shinier than what I can do with Novus #2, they had better shop elsewhere because I can't get them any shinier!

With all that said, I do think I get a better shine when applying the #2 Novus when I use a (smooth) soft Kleenex type material than by using a (scratchy) paper towel material. Give it a try and see if you notice any difference and while you're at it wait 24 hours after applying the CA before finishing it and see what happens! :)

bruce119

My conclusion is that if someone wants a pen shinier than what I can do with Novus #2, they had better shop elsewhere because I can't get them any shinier!

With all that said, I do think I get a better shine when applying the #2 Novus when I use a (smooth) soft Kleenex type material than by using a (scratchy) paper towel material. Give it a try and see if you notice any difference and while you're at it wait 24 hours after applying the CA before finishing it and see what happens! :)

I agree I use Novus 2 and use a soft cloth being careful not build too much heat. I do a couple drops polish a couple more drops polish some more all on the lathe at high speed.

I do finish off with Novus 1 as you mentioned it doesn't polish it any more but I do find it helps as an anti-static and keeps the dust off oh #1 is great for your safety glasses as an anti-fog also. :wink:

Texatdurango

.....I do finish off with Novus 1 as you mentioned it doesn't polish it any more but I do find it helps as an anti-static and keeps the dust off oh #1 is great for your safety glasses as an anti-fog also. :wink:
I have a large bottle of the #1 and thought I'd never use it. I'll have to find where I put it and give it a try since I have lots of problems with static electricity, especially when I put a pen in my photo tent. The pens draws lint like a magnet and makes my photos look horrible.

Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:

bruce119

You know what I noticed. When your done polishing and the piece is still on the lathe and you get that pesky dust that just don't want to go away. It kind of follows the blank like a cloud wile it's spinning. I found that a wipe with the Novus I just about eliminates it.

Oh and bye the way for those that would like to know were to get the Novus 2 & 1 just go to your local Harley motorcycle shop $5.75 for 8oz. and it will go a long long way.

Top Bottom