Polaris type vs. the PSI Executive

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I was thinking about making some of these kits. But before I do, I was wondering if anyone that had made some of them had any comments they were willing to share. It seems that the big three (CSUSA, PSI & Berea) all have a version of the Polaris, Cabera, Atlas (i think they are all the same), but only PSI had a version of the Executive. I make some Areos, Broadwells and Majestic Squire, but was looking for a simple pen to make with a more masculine look and feel to it. What do you think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Hi Peter:
I'm not sure if I really understand your question....But I'll answer it anyway:).
The Polaris, Cabera and Atlas are all similar (very minor differences). The PSI Executive is a "restyling of the old Parker DuoFold ballpoint pen. The CUSA Americana Classic Ballpoint is SOMEWHAT similar to the PSI Executive and the Parker Duofold. THERE ARE DIFFERENCES, HOWEVER. They take different sized tubes and the length is very slightly different, the bushings are not interchangeable, but the PSI Executive and the CUSA yield similar looking products. They both use Parker refills.

Both the Executive and the Americana have been popular with my "older" clients that remember the OLD Parker.

The PSI kit is more of a direct copy of the DuoFold as one of the main points of the Parker was the "arrow" clip. Both kits are easy to make.

I hope this answers your question.

Respectfully submitted.

Brooks803

I like the executive kits from PSI. They are a finial twist and don't come apart when activating or closing the twist mechanism like the sierras do. Here's a couple I've done recently.

aggromere

Thanks, that's just the kinda info I was looking for. I think I will go with the executive. Just looking for something easier to make that can be my least expensive pen. I was wondering why the executive looked vaguely familiar to me since I have never made one. Really good info.

hilltopper46

I really don't like the Polaris / Atlas / Patriot. I've made a couple PSI executives and find them to be a much higher quality kit in that it goes together positively with no pieces that can be 'over pressed' and ruined. And, the transmission seems bulletproof.

As far as being masculine, the pens is a little short for me, personally. I have pretty large hands and it isn't that comfortable for me to write with. I gave one to my daughter's boyfriend and he loves it (he's tall, but 'fine-boned' - for lack of a better word), and my wife says they write really nicely. You can draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
nice

I was thinking about making some of these kits. But before I do, I was wondering if anyone that had made some of them had any comments they were willing to share. It seems that the big three (CSUSA, PSI & Berea) all have a version of the Polaris, Cabera, Atlas (i think they are all the same), but only PSI had a version of the Executive. I make some Areos, Broadwells and Majestic Squire, but was looking for a simple pen to make with a more masculine look and feel to it. What do you think?

The Executive is a nice pen....I'd stay away from the pencil though. I have had 100% failure on the pencil kit. Went together fine but wouldn't operate when finished....

I like polaris personally.

I like the PSI Executive, especially in the rhodium plating. The finial twist mechanism is a real improvement on the Sierra mechanism and seems foolproof as long as you pay attention when you are milling the blank and don't shorten the tube. The longer tube shows off wood to good effect and the overall length is very close to the Sierra. My scale says that a finished Sierra comes in at 1.5 oz whereas the Executive is 1 oz. The plating on the rhodium kits I have made is holding up very well. I wish that they would make a version with gold-titanium plating.

The Executive and Carbara use exactly the same tube, different bushings however.

Last edited:

Rangertrek

I have made a few of both, my preference is the Executive.
I do craft shows and the Executive sells much better than the Polaris type. Will probably not do any Polaris unless special order.

Top Bottom