Polaris rattle?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4knf

I made a nice polaris pen today outta some acrylic I got at Rockler. Looks real sharp! I went to use it (test the ink cart) and I noticed it has a rattle coming from the ball point tip hitting the lower cone. Its like a tap when you use it because it was made with a lower hole that is too large.

Anyone else had this problem? How did you prevent this? Oh yea... you all like pictures - here ya go! :)

20067944123_small_polaris.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Very pretty! I've only made a few of these, and haven't had this problem. Could you try making an alignment shim that goes on the inside, around the refill? This way the refill stays better centered in the nib. Alternatively, contact the MFG and ask about a replacement tip. Oh, and, of course, try a different refill...maybe that's the source of your problems.

Oh yea...GREAT pen! Congrats!

bca1313

I have actually had this same problem. I bought about 10 of these kits and the first one I made has the rattle. I have not turned any of the other ones so I dont know if they are all going to come out like that or just that one.

I can't really help since I ended up just tossing the pen in a drawer and not doing anything to fix it. Just wanted you to know that others had seen this happen.

kf4knf

Well that is not a good sign... You would expect a pen to work when you buy it [:(!] and you shouldnt have to swap refills or make "modifications" for it work right. Thanks for the info guys. With this problem I am not sure it will sell. [:(]

PBR

I have not made this particular pen from PSI but I have made the Patriot pen from Craft which is basically the same pen and I have had this same problem with some of these pens as well. What I have done to solve this problem is to stretch out the spring on the end of the ink cartridge, this creates more back pressure on the ink cartridge and seems to work to reduce the rattle. Hope this helps!

alparent

Originally posted by PBR
<br />What I have done to solve this problem is to stretch out the spring on the end of the ink cartridge, this creates more back pressure on the ink cartridge and seems to work to reduce the rattle.

That's also what I did and it fixed the problem.
Just stretch the spring a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom