Polaris problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

2cor520

Hello all,

This is my first post and I would like to thank everyone who has posted in the past. I have been learning more than I thought possible in the last few months from you folks and it has saved me time and money.

I have recently purchased 4 polaris kits form PSI. I made the first one for my wife and it turned out great. The next three all make a grinding sound/feeling when the cap is turned in and out. Has anyone had this? Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Welcome to the IAP. I've never made a Polaris, I did make a Patriot but don't recall anything about how the mechanism works. It does sound like there's some grit in or on the mechanism. Take the worst offender apart and clean all the metal surfaces with DNA and see if that helps.

ilikewood

Is the grind sound coming from the mechanism (cap area) or the point area? Sometimes the spring will bind in the point area if not aligned perfectly straight.

tnilmerl

Same problem occurs in the Atlas from Woodcraft. Grinding is in the cap area. Try taking off the finial cap and check for burrs inside the cap. Also seen problems with the transmission being really tight and difficult to turn. No solution on that yet.

2cor520

I'll try cleaning them and check for burrs. Travis, it sounds like you have had the same problem. Isn't the cap suppose to fit over the clip retaining piece flush with the clip? If I pull the cap up a little bit the grinding stops but the piece inside is exposed. Thanks.

tnilmerl

Correct, the cap has a bevel on the inside edge that permits the cap to be press down over the shoulder of the clip retainer. Check this bevel for any burrs and remove with a small file. I have nver seen the clip retainer have any machining defects, but check it also, and remove if you find any. Since you have the cap off, check the underside for any machine or finish defects and polish off if you can. Check the end of your pen too. A drop of lubricate on the transmission helps somewhat. I use slipeze. Just remember, you want the transmission to rotate with the cap, not the cap by itself.

seht

I notice the same thing on one of the brushed nickle/silver pens that I use personally. That has not been an issue with any of the Rhodium plated versions of the Polaris. Not sure if it is the finish inside the cap or what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom