Polaris Pen Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darley

Well today when back to the lathe and turn a Colibah burl Polaris Pen, turning and sanding to 12000 mm was very ( first time use mm ) good, I went to PSI to download the instruction of the Polaris kit, put all the parts on my sheep skin piece as per instruction, put the nib on no worries, press the sleeves in ....hoops I'm wrong I assume that the clip come after the sleeve so take the dismantle tools unscreww the nib and pul out the sleeve, put the clip to the sleeve and put the sleeve with the clip back in to the pen, now we talking beauty[:eek:)] press the mecanism in up to the midle rim ( midle of the mechanism ) put the pen refill try the mecanism out ( working very well ) try the pen refill mechanism in, and doesn't work[xx(]:( have to push the refill in with my finger, look like the spring miss a repell back action.[?]

My question is how far do you push down the mechanism in to the pen or do I miss a part in my kit ?

Thanks for your help

Serge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

I've never made a Polaris, but I think it's the same as the Atlas and Patriot. It sounds like either the spring is upside down, small end of spring should be facing the tip of the refill. Or you didn't push the mechanism all the way in. I just looked at the PSI site and it states there should be 11/16" of the mechanism showing when it's seated properly. That's about all I can think of, hope it helps. :)

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I don't know about the Polaris, but on the Atlas that Bill B sells I have found that the length between the end of the mechanism and the front of the pen <b>without</b> the nib screwed in place should be 3.8 - 3.82"... I tend to sneak up on it a little checking with my calipers...

G

I've done a couple of Polarises.One thing I like about PSI is they do have the download Library on their.
WHen I press teh transmission I never trust the ridge on it to determine the dept.
I buy long tubes and cut my own.I try for the 2 &7/8ths lenght but things happen.
I assemble these like I do slim lines, press transmission in and insert the nib.test fit. keep pressing until the refill is where I want it.
Anyway,you are inserting the refill from the nib end with the spring on last and then the nib,right?
My guess is you may have boogered up the transmission in dissassembling the pen.
DAMHIKT.
The tolerances of the mechanism are pretty exact and the "threaded" part inside the mechanism needs to rise and fall as you turn it.
I'm guessing a bad tranny.
Since it doesn't work the way it is,I would take it apart again and visually examine the transmission as you turn it.
If it's wasted check with your supplier,Maybe they will replace the transmissiion with your next order.
Woodturningz are a dealer for PSI.I don't know where you got your kit but they have been extrememly helpful when I run into a problem like this.

Darley

Thank you forv your reply .

WoodChucker I will check the spring but I think is in the right way as I'm use to do click pen and you probably right for the lenght of the mecanism into the pen. Thanks

Old Griz I will combine your information with WoodChucker. Thanks

Eaglesc the mecanism is allright as I dismantle only the sleeve because I forgot to put the pen clip. Thanks

I get my pen kits and other things from Ryan very good service for me
and yes you call the Polaris pen , Atlas, Patriot and maybe other name, anyway thank you very much for your help will let you know later

Serge

Darley

Well went back to my pens and push the mecanism to the right lenght and they both work perfectly, will try to post photos.

Thank you again

Serge

PS : Why so many name for one kit [xx(][?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom