poison ivy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snowman

has anybody made a pen out of poison ivy? I had a tree taken out and it had the biggest poison ivy vine growing on it I have ever seen. I cut some off to dry and try.

Lulanrt

I have, neat stuff. I let it dry for a year before turning it. They say the oils leave it after it dries not sure how that works but I did not get a rash. But come to think of it I cut poison ivy with a weed eater and never break out. But it can be turned I will try to post the pic of the pen I turned when I get home out of town right now.
Travis

I have, neat stuff. I let it dry for a year before turning it. They say the oils leave it after it dries not sure how that works but I did not get a rash. But come to think of it I cut poison ivy with a weed eater and never break out. But it can be turned I will try to post the pic of the pen I turned when I get home out of town right now.
Travis

I don't get near that stuff if I can help it:eek:... if you're not allergic to it, you are one of the 5% or 10% lucky ones who aren't.... I can look at that stuff and break out.:eek:
And don't be too sure about the oils leaving, I have read that if you get the oils on tools, or your clothes, you can still break out as much as a year later... can't confirm that but the first couple of years I had this place, I seemed to have been broken out with PI every few weeks:frown::frown:. Think I've gotten most of it killed off now.

Dario

There are lots of safer wood (and probably prettier) that I haven't tried yet...so I am on the "not me" group. :biggrin:

Randy_

Yeah, it's been done. There was even an article in one of the pen magazines about doing it within the last year or two. As far as I know the "oils" remain active long after the plant is dead. Maybe the "oils" are only found on the leaves and not on the stem.......I don't know?? Imagine turning a pen, breathing some of the dust and getting a reaction in your lungs. Don't think I would want to take that risk unless I was very sure it was safe.​

And I'm not sure I see the point, anyway. As I recall, in the pictures I saw, the wood was very plain.

GouletPens

It may seem like a novelty, but I can't imagine being able to market a poison ivy pen very well to my customers.....

sparhawk

I,m not allergic but my ex-wife 25 years ago was. When she pissed me off i would roll in the stuff and when she washed my clothes she would break out. She was also allergic to seafood, so every chance i got i would make shrimp gumbo. She,d swell up like a dead dog in the sun on a summers day. Oh those were the days.

DurocShark

I,m not allergic but my ex-wife 25 years ago was. When she pissed me off i would roll in the stuff and when she washed my clothes she would break out. She was also allergic to seafood, so every chance i got i would make shrimp gumbo. She,d swell up like a dead dog in the sun on a summers day. Oh those were the days.
:eek:

*DurocShark makes a note not to marry sparhawk

Sylvanite

I saw the "Pens that Bite" article as well, and thought it was incredibly irresponsible. It's like telling children how to make napalm - sooner or later, it's going to blow up in someones face.

Even if you're not allergic to poison ivy, many other people are. Figures I've seen are that it's the most common allergy in the world, affecting about half the population. Why spread it around intentionally? Even if you are very careful, the dust will hang around your shop. Do you want the neighbor kid to walk into your garage and get a handful (or worse, a lungful)?

It takes very little oil to trigger a reaction, and it can be life threatening. I've known two people who wound up hospitalized - one from breathing smoke, and one who got some sap on himself. Yes, the sap contains the oil. The concentration is even higher than on the leaves.

Regards,
Eric

bobskio2003

I have made a number of Poison Ivy pens and with care they are no problem. The oil does last a long time but it is not in the wood itself. It is in the leaves, the bark and the sap layer under the bark. What I've done is cut the vine into about 2' lengths and then let it dry for a year or so. Then with gloves and mask on I shave the bark layers off. I then cut it up, on a bandsaw, into blank size (making sure that there isn't any of the other wood left - that might have oil on it). From there, using the usual precautions (dusk mask, dust collector) I can turn the pen. By the time you put a finish on it the chance of even actually touching the wood is slim and even if you did it isn't likely to have any oils on it. Bob I.

sbell111

I also read the article and even considered turning a PI pen. I do think that it could be done relatively safely. I would recommend making sure the wood was good and dry and giving the blank a DNA bath. In fact, I would likely go with a couple DNA baths as the blank was turned down to ensure that as much of the oils were removed as possible. I would seal the turned blank in CA to ensure that no one had any issues when handling the pen.

Certainly, it would be important to have a good dust collection and handling system in operation when turning this material, even if you are one of the fortunate few of us who are not alergic to PI.

I would further make sure that all equipment used in the process is wiped down with DNA afterwards (and perhaps Tecnu). I would also quickly replace the collection bag on the dust collector so there is no future issues with the dust

I never got around to making PI pens because I don't think that they would be strong sellers and the extra work related to them simply isn't worth it.

fyrcaptn

poison ivy

I put this in the one for the ex category as well... nah not worth the trouble.
I understand that it is not indigenous to the US and was brought here as an ornamental.

Thankfully I am not allergic. LOML and my son are pitifully allergic. My mother was hospitalized with it in her lungs after burning a brush pile. They all can look at it and break out. Isn't worth it to me to risk exposing them to it. If you did hit oils how could you be sure to get it off the lathe, tools, etc. Guess with the other choices available I'll pass.
That said, if any of you want some feel free to come harvest all you want!

You guys can mess with that stuff all you want... I think I can break out from just looking at the pictures... it takes less than an hour for me to react to touching any part of the plant.:eek::eek::eek:

As a youngster, I climbed a three once while not wearing a shirt and wound up with poison ivy so bad on my chest and stomach, I probably should have gone to a doctor - but for common ailments like that we didn't do doctors in those days.. (late '40's and early '50's). My mom used old wives remedies and I finally got over it, but that was a terrible time for me... when I break out I get oozy blisters.. ugly looking stuff.:mad::mad:

Dario

That said, if any of you want some feel free to come harvest all you want!

ROFLMAO.

I think there are thousands of people in Austin alone who would give the same statement. Just experiment and post "Will harvest Poison Ivy for FREE" at Craigslist and you will probably get a lot of responses. :biggrin:

I know a few city parks and facilities (thousands of acres) that will offer free access for that (or maybe not in fear of liability) :rolleyes:

pipecrafter

20-something years ago my entire family was laid up for weeks because we were clearing land and chipping all the saplings. Wouldn't you know it, there was some huge poison ivy vines that we chipped up - vines that had been dead and dry for years (I know they were dead because I killed them about 3 years prior). All they did was breath some of the dust coming off the chipper, and they were done in for half the month of July.

Me, I'm one of the lucky ones that isn't allergic to poison ivy, so I got to take care of everyone and truck them all back and forth to the doctor for those two weeks.

No, it's not worth it. Don't make a pen from it, and for God's sake don't turn it into chips or dust. Even if you're not allergic to it, you can bet that a lot of people around you are.

GouletPens

I can't think of a better segway to talk about other woods that have the oils silimar to poison ivy. There are many exotic woods, especially in the Dalbergia family (rosewoods) that have the same oils as poison ivy and can cause the same reaction. A year ago i did a large order of Brazilian Tulipwood, no DC, no fans, just straight up. The end of the first day, I had aweful poison ivy all over my forearms from the dust. I did some research and found out tulipwood is a sensitizer, which means it's not only highly toxic but also affects you worse the more you're exposed to it. I later got an ambient air cleaner and hooked up a DC dust hood at the lathe and haven't had a problem since. :doctor:

Many woods like tulipwood, ebony, zircote, kingwood, cocobolo, lignum vitae and many, many others are highly toxic and should be turned with extreme care. Basically, all the 'tropical' woods (more or less) are toxic, as a defense mechanism for the tree (if they hurt you, you won't mess with them, or so they think, heh heh.).

Dario

Last this topic came out...LIABILITY was also mentioned.

What will happen to you as the seller if the recipient (or anyone who got in contact with the pen) got sick?

Is it worth the risk?

For me, it is not.

Sylvanite

There are many exotic woods, especially in the Dalbergia family (rosewoods) that have the same oils as poison ivy and can cause the same reaction.

Yes and no. Many other woods are allergens, and some are sensitizers as well. Cocobolo is probably the best known of these. Skin contact with the dust can cause a similar rash, but the specific allergen is different. The rosewoods do not have the same oil as poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac.

Regards,
Eric

GouletPens

Yes and no. Many other woods are allergens, and some are sensitizers as well. Cocobolo is probably the best known of these. Skin contact with the dust can cause a similar rash, but the specific allergen is different. The rosewoods do not have the same oil as poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac.

Regards,
Eric
Right....I didn't mean to imply that all the toxic woods have the oil like poison ivy....I only know that brazilian tulipwood does. The others are all toxic in their own way.

Sylvanite

It is said that there are two kinds of woodworkers: those who are allergic to cocobolo, and those who will be. Of all the Dalbergia family, it may contain the most allergens, including several quinones and phenols. Tulipwood contains a quinone (a dalbergione) which causes allergic dermatitis. Urushiol (containing catechol) is present in Poison Ivy. Different chemicals, different allergies, same symptoms.

Although I am allergic to Poison Ivy, I'm not sensitive to the rosewoods (knock on wood) - at least not yet. I've happily turned Cocobolo, Brazilian Tulipwood, Kingwood, Bocote, and African Blackwood without breaking out.

We don't usually think about it, but other popular woods, including sugar maple, birch, and pine can also cause reactions in some people.

For more detailed information, check out: http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Wood_Hazards.

Regards,
Eric

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
As has been noted, there are countless materials from which to make blanks. From my perspective, making poison ivy pens is simply reckless and foolish. Also as mentioned, while it might not hurt you, the potential problems for others must be considered.

Joe L

Hi... My brother (years ago), ended up in the hospital as a reaction to poison ivy. Although I got the traditional "rash and itch"... that's all. I mention this because we both must have touched it when it was "oily"... so I don't know how a "ivy-sensitive" person might react with dry wood.

You might want to caution the potential buyer(s) regarding the type of wood they are buying. (To "george".... your thoughts project that it could be a HUGE market<grin>)

-joe L

workinforwood

I have never had an allergy to poison ivy either, and have been in plenty of contact with it being that i live in a wetland. Fact is though, you can touch it a million times and never have a reaction, but next time you might. Allergies can change. I especially wouldn't risk breathing it in even though I am one of the lucky ones.

GouletPens

Even though you might not have an allergen to touching poison ivy, the exposure is mangified by thousands whenever you're working with something in dust form as opposed to just touching something. Therefore, just because a particular wood like cocobolo or tulipwood is a working hazard to manufacturers like us, doesn't mean that the end product is hazardous to our customers to any notable level. When I had my breakout from tulipwood, it wasn't the first time I'd worked with the wood, but because I had the fine dust sitting on my arms for 8+ hours in one spell, my exposure was unbelievably high. The worst exposure is when sanding, because of the fine particles.

arjudy

Here is how poison ivy works on the body:

Urushiol is the group of compounds present in poison ivy that initiate the allergic reaction. It is found in all parts of the plant including the woody parts and berries. Urushiol is a mixture of catechol derivatives. The major catechol on poison ivy leaves is pentadecylcatechol. If urushiol is washed off the skin within an hour or so, the reaction can be largely prevented. However, if left on the skin, some diffuses through the skin, where it is metabolized to quinone derivatives. These form covalent complexes with skin proteins such as keratin. These complexes appear foreign to the immune system, which therefore attacks them. This attack is mediated by T-lymphocytes (one kind of white blood cell) and initiates what is termed a delayed hypersensitivity reaction (a type of allergic reaction) in the body.

I couldn't imagine what kind of havoc inhaling the dust of a poison ivy plant would cause. Probably better left alone. It is not worth the risk.

Here is a link with technical info for urushiol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol

bitshird

I know that being near any one burning Poison Ivy, Sumac or Oak, is quite risky, I had a guy clear some brush and scrub oak all of which was covered with one or more of the three for me when we bought this place, he started a huge burn pile and that afternoon he was in the hospital, DO NOT GET NEAR IT while it's burning, it put the guy in the hospital long enough he quit drinking and hasn't smoked any thing since then.
The Idiot was pretty high when he started the fire, sitting with a six pack by his side and a tiny little cigarette in his lips, I had to rush him to the local hospital,

Druid

It has been done... I saw an article on it - I think it was in woodturning design.

Your "spot on", I went back to read the article in Woodturning Design. Very interesting, the author has been making/selling poison ivy pens for the last 10 years. I always take extra precaution on punky spalted wood, my arms start to itch just thinking about turning/sanding pioson ivy! LOL

OKLAHOMAN

Cocobolo isn't Poison Ivy although some will have a reaction to cocobolo, poison ivy has been known to bring reactions that have hospitalized many. Steve would you substitute fire crackers for dynamite ?

You might try referring to your ridiculous parody of my opinion of poison ivy. I have the right to my opinion without someone making fun of it by changing poison ivy to cocobolo. As far as assuming and name calling, purchase a mirror.

PR_Princess

Let me see if I got this right.

We know that poison ivy causes an allergic reaction to all but a small portion of the population. Cocobolo and it's kin can cause a reaction through prolonged exposure, and generally only if you work with the wood. From my perspective, these are two different and distinct issues.

Novelty and ex's included. I would not want to take the risks and possible lawsuits that might ensue from selling or giving away a pen where 85% of the population is allergic to the material. Never mind exposing yourself while making it. This just does not make any sense to me.

Last edited:

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The reaction caused by poison-ivy, urushiol-induced contact dermatitis, is an allergic reaction. Around 15% to 30% of people have no allergic response, but most people will become sensitized with repeated or more concentrated exposure to urushiol. Reactions can progress to anaphylaxis. (an acute systemic and very severe Type I Hypersensitivity allergic reaction in humans which can lead to death.) Urushiol oil can remain active for several years, so handling dead leaves or vines can cause a reaction.

For what it is worth, I am not aware of any dalbergia which contains urushiol oil, although the mango tree has a closely related oil which also produces contact dermatitis in a large percentage of the population.

So, turn poison ivy vines but do so with the knowledge that it is more dangerous than most of the woods with which we typically work. I'll stick to cocobolo.

Top Bottom