Pointers Needed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbob91577

I have an acrylic blank, lava flows, from Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods that I have to put a 12.5mm drill bit through. These blanks are cylindrical for those not familiar with them. I don't have the actual diameter of the blank but it looks like I'll only have about an 1/8" wall thickness once I have drilled through it and about 1/16" thickness after turning.

Any pointers on what will make my drilling experience a little easier. I know I'm going to have to go slow, make sure I am drilling on the dead center of the blank and also make sure the blank is perfectly vertical when drilling, but beyond that, any other suggestions?

Should I use a lubricant (Pam cooking spray) when drilling?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ideally, drill on the lathe.

The top is only 2" long, so if you have to do on a drill press, it really has to be "off" to mess up. You will be turning it down to .63 from .75 diameter

jimbob91577

The top is only 2" long, so if you have to do on a drill press, it really has to be "off" to mess up. You will be turning it down to .63 from .75 diameter

I take it you guessed which style kit I am working on...thanks for the suggestion Ed. Unfortunately I'm not setup yet to drill on the lathe.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4copies

I take it you guessed which style kit I am working on...thanks for the suggestion Ed. Unfortunately I'm not setup yet to drill on the lathe.

Actually the character Carnac the Magnificent was based on Ed. He simply placed your post to his temple and voila he knew your plans.

artistwood

someone on this forum had a really neat way to drill oddball pieces of antler. i know there is a video somewhere. basicaly, you put a small dent in the center of each end. chuck a drill bit in the headstock. use the live center in the other end, then use the quill to advance the blank. it's important to mark your drill position so you don't hit the live center. he held it with pliers, slow speed and voila......drilled blank. the last 1/4' or so he just did by advancing the blank with pliers. i know it works cause i use it on antler. i'm sure someone here knows who does this but looking at the video would be very helpful.......might work for you till you get a more reliable setup...........bear

Randy_

I don't recall seeing that video; but it sounds like a cool method.

There is something else you could try that was proposed by another unrecalled IAP member.

Drive a short nail through a piece of wood and clamp it to the table of your drill press. (about 1/4" of extension of the nail is all that should be necessary Install a drill bit in your chuck and then slide the nail board around on the table until it is lined up precisely with the tip of the drill bit. Dimple both ends of the blank exactly in the center. Hold the blank with a pair of pliers with the dimple on one end of the blank aligned with the tip of the nail. Drill the blank just short of the end of the nail and finish the hole with a sacrificial scrap over the nail so you don't blow out the end of the blank. Should give you an accurately drilled hole every time.

Note: I think this was originally proposed for drilling irregularly shaped antler blanks. This suggestion was the first post of a new IAP member. Not sure I recall a first post ever conveying a more interesting and useful idea. I will see if I can figure out who posted this idea so he can get proper credit.

Added: "jaeger" in South Dakota made the original post. Here is a link to it for those who may be interested.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=788610#post788610

Last edited:

jttheclockman

someone on this forum had a really neat way to drill oddball pieces of antler. i know there is a video somewhere. basicaly, you put a small dent in the center of each end. chuck a drill bit in the headstock. use the live center in the other end, then use the quill to advance the blank. it's important to mark your drill position so you don't hit the live center. he held it with pliers, slow speed and voila......drilled blank. the last 1/4' or so he just did by advancing the blank with pliers. i know it works cause i use it on antler. i'm sure someone here knows who does this but looking at the video would be very helpful.......might work for you till you get a more reliable setup...........bear

Here was the video on utube. It is actually a very neat trick that I saved for my antler drilling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAEEaF8z2jM

evanslmtd

jimbob
Check out the link to the video that jttheclockman posted. I've been using that method for drilling Antler and other odd shaped blanks for a while now, and I'm here to tell you it works!

johnnycnc

Welcome to IAP, Mr. Russell.
You have quite a name in the world of knives, hope you do as well
in the penturning adventure!
You might wish to try the Classifieds here at IAP for the antler tips.
I would try the individual or business classifieds, depending on
how many you have to offer.
Again, welcome aboard!!:)

I have lots of antler tips for sale $15 a pound plus shipping.

Is there any interest?

A. G. Russell Knives agr@agr3.com Is there a better place for this kind of post?

Randy_

I have lots of antler tips for sale $15 a pound plus shipping.

Is there any interest?

A. G. Russell Knives agr@agr3.com Is there a better place for this kind of post?

I suspect there would be; but it might help if you posted the approximate size of the material available. Different size material is required depending upon which kit is being crafted; but most folks are going to be looking for pieces that are about 2-1/4" long and 5/8"-3/4" in diameter ±about 1/8".

Top Bottom