Pocket Pen "just my thoughts"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

I totally missed this kit in the new Craft Supply catalog & Wayne brought it to my attention, So something new, gotta try it. I ordered a dozen kits with the mandrel. Not much to the kit, 1-7mm tube, a tension spring & little ball pen that takes the mini refill. When you buy the package, you get another 7mm drill, a small mandrel & 1-7mm bushing.

20041121175751_Dsc00869.jpg

I saw the photo Bob posted of his and thought, okay it's a nice pen, but nothing exciting. The instructions state drill a 1 7/8 deep hole, to fit the tube and cut your blank about 1/8 longer than the tube. I had these pieces of celluloid laying around that were the perfect overall length 2 3/16, So I drilled the 7mm hole, note you donot drill all the way thru the blank.

Did my barrel trimming, put the mandrel on my chuck, snugged up the tail stock........and.........did a little double take.

There is no place for me to navigate my big hands, The tool rest is to far from the stock and I was cutting material that is not that easy to cut. Just ask RT.

Needless to say I did not enjoy cutting this. Way to small of work for me, Got my self in a jam or two with my tools hitting the chuck, hitting the tail stock. Plus allot of hand sanding the end.

Had I not glue upped 4 blanks, I would have stopped after the first one. When I was finished, they did nothing for me. Bob said he bought 5 kits and has enough for a lifetime, well I guess I have enough for two lifetimes.

Took them up stairs to show my daughter & friends that were over and they flipped, thought it was the coolest thing I made. (go figure)

I said. Happy Thnaksgiving, keep them they are collectors items because there will be no more from this turner.

When it comes to pocket pens, I compare them to what's out there and my high standards. In the photo is what I believe to be the best pocket pen available, good German ingenuity from Lamy for only 32-38 dollars. Try em, you may like turning them, I don't.

Sooooo, what to do with my other kits.........next post....Anthony

20041121174158_Dsc00860.jpg

Daniel

Anthony,
Would you consider reselling whats left of the set?
I'm one of those that just can't learn from the experience of others. Actually I have a handful of people that have asked for these types of pens specifically. Think I'll torture myself just long enough to make them happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom