Plugging tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

WHile making my denim pens(eaglemascus) I came across and idea that might be helpful.
I have read where some plug their tubes with a potato.
It might work but I can only imagine what the shop will smell like when I "Lose" the potato.I never remember to order beeswax plugging stuff when I place orders.
I do keep paraffin wax on hand for different tasks.
The problem with paraffin is it's too hard to just stick the tube in and then pull out winding up with a little "plug"
I tried scraping the tube across the surface of the wax,this filled the tube with wax shavings.
I then uesd back end of a rod that fit in the tube to "pack" the shavings.This compressed the shavings easily.
I found that I could push out this plug and repeat the process.After doing this a second time I put the first plug back in the other end and I had both ends sealed and was able to spread the glue everywhere(including on my fingers) but not get any in the tube.
The wax comes out easily and CA doesn't stick to it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Very good idea, Eagle.

Softer paraffin can be made by adding an oily solvent. <b>Since it is flammable, it needs to be done in a double boiler. </b>Melting point of paraffin is about 130-140 F. Paint thinnker, cooking oil, mineral oil, etc. will all work.

G

I knew I could soften it but I like the idea I can just reach for a bar of canning parafin and not have to "process" it.
It doesn't take that long to do it the way I described and I can leave the bar anywhere.
If I were gong to go through the process of softening it I would jsut make it a point to ORDER the beeswax.Also less chance of getting any residue on the putside of the tube

PenWorks

What a treat [:)] I've been using potatoes for the past 2 years [xx(] I just found out last month that there was wax base plate from BB,[:D]
That has sure improved the aroma of my shop [:D]
Eagle the big potatoe is easy to find, it's all those darn little plugs you knock out and can't find that stink up the place [:(!]

Anthony

Rifleman1776

For some reasons obtaining beeswax seems to be a big problem for a lot of folks. I get mine free or almost so. Just contact your county extension agent and ask for names of members of the local beekeeppers organization. Then call some of these folks. Beekeeppers raise bees for the honey, the wax is a by-product and often considered a nusiance, many will give it to you free. It is 'dirty' which means you must clean it. That is done by simply heating and melting (gently and outdoors) then skimming the crud off the top. While at it, you can then pour into disposable small cups like are used in a bathroom. Handy size. I keep a hunk at my workbench and use it for many things frequently.

Scott

Hi Eagle,

I use the Base Plate wax from Bill (snob, snob!). ;-)

But being from Idaho, I feel I need to encourage everyone out there to use potatoes! ;-)

(But seriously, if I didn't have it around, I think I might do as you do. There are all kinds of things that can be used to plug up a tube! Maybe some Play Dough?)

Scott.

G

Originally posted by woodspinner
<br />Just buy a little base wax from Bill. It is cheap, works great and lasts a long time

Bill
WHen I finish using up teh 5 boxes of cheap parafin wax I have on hand from a condle making thing I might just do that.[:D]
(Parafin is REAL cheap!)

jkirkb94

I was wondering why the use of plugs? I haven't ever had any problem with getting CA into my tubes. [:D] I could see the need with expanding glues. I guess any glue that I might have gotten in the tubes is reamed out when using my pen mill. Kirk[8D]

G

Actually there is another reason.
I normally don't det glue in the tubes either.
The close fit of the tubes and using an isertion tool(Home made,I don't buy what I can make or make do)A lot of glue wind up on the end of the blank that I am inerting from.
In the case with porous blanks like corn cob and some antler I will purposely run glue inside the balnk an revolve it and then inser the tube.

Bud

My early training was "use a potatoe plug" and I continue to now. Bees Wax! Wow! Being the grandson of a bee keeper (now deceased) sounds better - easier to clean out residue. Though I have to say using thick CA for glue that the plug is glue hard in ten minutes, thus it stinketh not. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Rifleman1776

Bee's wax is not an expensive product. I know that retail vendors get big money for the stuff, sometimes as much as $7.00 for a couple ounces. In fact it is a nusiance by-product for beekeepers who harvest honey. Just contact your local county extension agent and ask for the names of members of the local beekeepers association. Contact one of them and ask for wax. You may even get some free. The free stuff needs cleaning. That requires meling (gently over a low heat) and skimming dros off the top. However, beeswax by itself is a lousy finish. It is sticky, not attractive and collects dirt.

goldentouch

This looks like the same thing Bill is selling. A 1 lb box would do a lot of pens. But it is easier when placing an oder with Bill to just have him throw in a few of the pieces. I usually place an order before I run out of the last batch.

Fred in NC

I bought wax locally at the farmer's market. I think I paid $1 for a pound block, and it is very clean wax, much better than the stuff from the hobby suppliers.

Wax needs to be melted in a double boiler. Remember, it will catch fire and burn very easily if you drop any on the burner. BE CAREFUL !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom