Plexiglass For A Finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I saw someone mention in another site that plexigless dissolved in acetone can be used as a finish. I looked around here but did not see a topic on it. Could someone please point me in that direction if there is a topic about it here? ?
I have not been here for a while due to time limitations and being busy being administrator of my own WWF site but I stop in here occasionally to check on latest tips and ideas.
W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

William Young

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a nice finish and I will give it a try when I get a chance.
I have tried almost everything else [:D]
I had given up on CA after many trys because of the learning curve and then I tried it a few more times and got it down to where it works very good for me . CA is at present my finish of choice .
Sounds like the plexiglass is also a challenge but I like challenges so I will give it a try.
W.Y.

jttheclockman

Hello all'

I too was directed here from the site that Bill mentioned. I find it very interesting how we look for that perfect finish for our pens. I have not yet turned one, still waiting for my penturning equipment to arrive which I understand went through some foopa at Crafts Supply but that is another story. I read the article and the discussion and one of the questions I had was answered in that what is the proper material we are talking about. There are different plastics.

With that said I was sitting here thinking doesn't happen alot, Has anyone tried using the mixture acylic pen blanks are made from??? Like I said I am a novice so there maybe a reason this can't be used and someone will mention it right away. But if you make acylic pens from this stuff why not thin it so you can use as a top coat?? I am trying to gather as much info as possible so when I do startI have a better idea what to try and what not to try.

terrymiller

If you all dnt mind me asking what other site are you talking about. Is it a wooturning site I am just asking because I would like to check it out as well.

William Young

Hi Terry;
I don't know if it is against site regulations to post live links to other discussion board sites here or not. Some are set up that way.
The Wood Magazine site's wood turning board was where I first noticed the topic and someone there suggested the Penshop where I saw some info and the same pdf on it as I was supplied with from here.
For this site I just logged on to see if I could find some additional information because I had not been here for awhile.

If this message is contrary to site regulations and needs to be removed by administration I will understand completely .

William Young

Im have had broken up pieces of plexiglas in the bottom of a clean metal one quart paint can for a couple days now and it was initially covered about an inch above the plexiglas with acetone.
The plexiglas has now formed a tough layer in the bottom and the acetone is on top and is thicker than honey.
So assuming that it would be too thick to further dissolve the layer in the bottom I added more acetone and mixed it into the bottom layer with a large clean screwdriver.
I have put the lid back on again and I am wondering if I am going about this the right way.
Can I be using some of the thick liquid that has formed and dilute it to the consistency of thin CA for pen finishing as previously outlined and then add more acetone to what is left in the can or should I be waiting until all the plexiglas is dissolved into the acetone ?
How many days should I expect it to take to dissolve completely.
The broken pieces of plexiglass were in a layer approx 1.5" deep in the bottom of the can when I started and I covered it with acetone a little over an inch above that.
W.Y.

terrymiller

William I always use the thick solution. When I make mine I use about 2 ounces of thick then thin with 5-6 ounces of acetone in my bottle. This makes the thickness that I like. The bottle from woodcraft work but the opening is a little small for getting the solution into it, I prefer the bottles from Sally's beauty supply. Using the thick solution is fine but you will have to shake it for a little while to mix with the fresh acetone in the application bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom