Please... What kind of wood is this???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glwalker

I think I know, but I want to be pretty sure so I'd like other's opinions.
I hope the pics are good enough. The wood also has a distinctive smell while turning it. It turns great. Thanks for helping me with this.

Attachments

• rosewoodpen.JPG
    rosewoodpen.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 298
  • rosewpenblank.JPG
    rosewpenblank.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 302
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glwalker

It wasn't necessarily offensive, but noticeable. Unlike anything else I've turned. I'm not sure how to describe it... maybe a sweet smell.

Wheaties

Take a scrap piece and see if it floats or sinks. That will either eliminate or confirm my ironwood guess

Len Shreck

What type of finish did you put on the pen? I'm assuming the pen is made from the wood you are talking about. I have a piece that kind of looks similar and mine has English Walnut written on it. But from past experience I can not go but what is written on the blanks. If it was lighter I would say maybe Olive wood, PLEASE keep in mind I am still a newbie and on most things have only enough knowledge to look like an ahole...:biggrin::wink: Len

jthompson1995

I've seen black walnut, english walnut and bolivian rosewood (morado) that looked similar. All of these woods have distinctive smells and turn easily, the bolivian rosewood turning with less tearout typically.

1080Wayne

Try turning a piece of black walnut . If the smell is the same , you can be pretty sure that the unknown is walnut . I don`t know whether or not claro or English walnut smell the same as black .

glwalker

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to call it HR. I work a lot with Walnut and I'm sure its not that. I realize the pics weren't that good. Also I was asked what the finish was. Its acrylic, probably about 6 coats, MM and Ren Wax.

Thanks again...........

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'm also leaning towards morado, but it would be easier to see if you could
wet the blank and take another pic. The pen looks more like morado than
the blank does, but the pen has a finish on it and the pic is dark. It could
have a pretty distinctive smell to it, not unlike cocobolo or kingwood (which
don't smell like each other, but there's an under-note similarity)

Top Bottom