Please recommend how to work with this wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandking

I received these pieces of wood from a friend yesterday. I don't know what kind it is or how long ago it was cut. Should there be burls in those big tumors?

How do I make a pen out of these pieces? Do I need to let them season?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2007411151227_burls.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

First, I would inquire and try to find out what kind of wood you have. Those 'tumors' are burls. Regardless of age since cut, if you have a bandsaw, I would cut into about 1" slabs, with the grain, then resaw into blanks. Of course, these would give oversize pen blanks but would also help guarantee you having something to work with if they warp. Once cut, seal the ends with Anchorseal or latex paint. Bring inside and let rest for a month or so. Often, I just use the 'feel' test. If the wood feels moist, it is. If it feels dry, it usually is, especially with small pieces like pen blanks. If in doubt, zap in the microwave. I do that in 30 second bursts and let rest about a minute in between until it 'feels' OK, no science or special formula. Let us know what you do.

kent4Him

From what I am seeing(Bark and needles) this is some kind of conifer and most likely some kind of pine. Pine Sap is not the most friendly in a microwave, so be careful. They also have a higher chance of bursting.

leatherjunkie

Send em to me so you wont have to worry about using em[:D]

I would let them sit for about 3 months before using em.

you will need to hack em up into pen blank squares.

best way is to use a band saw.

richstick1

The needles on the ground and the bark suggest to me that you may have some arbor vitae wood there. It's a conifer - usually a small tree, although I have seen a variety that is very large, but the bark looks different than this.

sandking

The needles from the ground are from my neighbors tree. My friend left the wood outside my garage yesterday, so the bark is really the only clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom