Please help identify

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBusardo

My buddy is contractor and gave me quite a bit of this wood the other day. He installed it as flooring and said his supplier called it Cherry. I am sure its not the cherry we all know. Could it be Brazilian cherry? I believe that is used for flooring. Here is a picuture of the wood. It was very heavy and lots of open grain.
Thanks Gary

20069521735_woodfromvic.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

Gary,
I can't offer much help on the wood, but I really like the pen. It's a nice simple classic shape, very well done! Good job on the center band.
txbob

airrat

Could be Jatoba, Brazilian Cherry. We made my son's crib, bassinet and changing table out of it, got it from our neighbor who owned a hardwood floor company. I have alot of cutoffs left over. Little deeper in color however then what you have, so I might be wrong.

badwin

Gary, I don't think that is Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba)I had a friend give me a flooring sample of Jatoba that was still marked with the sticker and here is the pen I turned from it.

2006954737_braziliancherry.jpg
<br />

beamer

It could be brazilian cherry, from the planks you showed, I almost want to scream Ipe again (someone recently got a pallet that looked like ipe, too). It's very possible I'm just freely associating with something familliar, though.

badwin

Gary
Sorry after looking at the following website, It could be Jatoba. Wow different pictures of the same wood.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/jatoba.htm

Brian

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />My buddy is contractor and gave me quite a bit of this wood the other day. He installed it as flooring and said his supplier called it Cherry. I am sure its not the cherry we all know. Could it be Brazilian cherry? I believe that is used for flooring. Here is a picuture of the wood. It was very heavy and lots of open grain.
Thanks Gary

20069521735_woodfromvic.jpg
<br />

It looks like Ipe to me, I had a piece from a flooring store that looked quite like this. Is it really hard and heavy, then it's Ipe.
Used widely for flooring and upgraded decking (must be pre-drilled before it can get screwed down).

GBusardo

The link that Brian supplied has a picture of the end grain of B Cherry. It looks exactly like th pieces I have.

200695203125_b%20cherry.jpg
<br />

Does Ipe have this open of a grain?
Thanks
Gary

redfishsc

IF that is brazilian cherry, it was a mutated tree. I have a ton of the stuff, including sapwood, and I've never seen any that looked like that.

I'm more leaning toward the Ipe people.

Did the dust and shavings turn pollen yellow/green? If so, it is a variety of Ipe (of which there are several, but the differences aren't a big deal, and I don't know them).

GBusardo

My buddy, who I got it from, tells me his supplier told him it was cherry. For all I know, it could have come from Home Depot and I would not trust them to identify a
pine [:(]
Maybe next time I order some blanks, i will try and get some Ipe so I can compare.
I am also going to look at that site again.

GBusardo

I just compared the pictures of Ipe and B Cherry on the web site and what I have. I would bet, between the two, it's B Cherry.

Red, I just checked the dust, no green there.

I just held the pen up to the picture on my screen, the pen in my hand is a little redder and a little lighter than the picture.

Interestingly, Russ had mentioned in a previous post of mine that what is on my screen, maybe be very differnt than what is on your screens.

If anyone wants to try some, send me an email and we can swap. I have more of this than I will ever use making pens.

Thanks again
Gary

penbros

(snaps my fingers twice and points while rubbing my chin)Is the face kind of coarse? I was thinkin it might be canarywood but i dont really think you can get canarywood flooring. It has a grain of ipe and jatoba but the color is unique. good luck![:D]

GBusardo

Hi Will, Dont think it's canary wood. I got some scrap canary and the canary is more yellow and coarse grained than the mystery wood above. Good thought though, it does look close.

badwin

Gary
Had some time to look at the Brazilian Cherry I have and the end cuts and the tops are identical to the link I posted earlier. I also found some from the same flooring sample that looks like yours and some that is more red like the picture of my pen. I have only tried it once but it turns and finishes very nice. I also got some Brazilian Paraju flooring and it turns great to. Its red also but has light white flecks in it. My friend owns a flooring store so I get tons of cool stuff from him. It's a cheap way to make some nice pens. You can see both types at my web site below.
Brian
http://www3.telus.net/public/goodwinp

dozer

Gary cut a small chunk off the end put it in some water if it sinks it's ipe. I have some ipe in the shop and the end grain is much smaller than that picture you found.

GBusardo

I haven't had a chance to do a float test yet, but as of now, I am pretty sure it's B Cherry. It turned nice, but it is opened grain so it takes a little more to finish. Maybe this weekend I will try and cut some on an angle and see what it looks like turned.
Thanks
Gary

low_48

Look at the range of colors of this floor. Looks like it could be the Brazilian cherry.
http://www.nogalink.com/brazilian-cherry.htm

redfishsc

Originally posted by dozer
<br />Gary cut a small chunk off the end put it in some water if it sinks it's ipe. I have some ipe in the shop and the end grain is much smaller than that picture you found.

That won't always work. I have some Ipe that floats. The specific gravity of water is 1.0 and the specific gravity of all the varieties of Ipe averaged together is, well, 1.0. Ipe is a lot like people. Some float, some don't. [:D]

Lignum, however, will likely sink in water. That is some killer stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom