Please help!!! Cartridge Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

coach

I am trying to make a cartridge pen tonite. I have a 30-06 shell and the 7mm tube has some play in it. How do I tighten it up? Also, do I need a longer tube? Please help me!!! I am determined to turn one of these.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

coach

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Coach, I have a made 3 and so am just a novice. I simply use some of my blowouts that are the same as the interior of the casing. I have made 2 that the casing is cut the same length as the tube, just like any blank. The other that was nit cut to size I added a piece of another tube with super glue. There is a thread with some really great info on this site if you will search under bullet pen.

timdaleiden

Hi Coach,

I have made a few cart pens using .308 shell casings and slugs. I used unprimed casings, and the slug for a nib.

There are quite a few variations on these pens, so it is hard to give you any real good answers. If you search through the albums, and find one style that you want to try. Ask that particular person about how they did it.

coach

Well, I'll have to try again Wed. night. Game tomorrow. Both teams are undefeated in district so I would like to win this one! Thanks for your help. I have to get this thing done as a retirement gift for my boss in May.

PenPauli

I just used a blowout also and turned it to the size of the id of the 30-06. As for the length I just used the regular size 7mm barrel, drilled out the primer end with a 7mm drill bit. Then pressed the tranny in until the ink came out the correct amount.

C. Scott

Hey Coach!

I wish I would have checked the posts earlier. I just finished my first cartridge pen (no picture yet). Using 30.06 casing and antler.

1. I prepared the antler and glued in a slimline tube and milled the ends set aside. (easy)

2. I then popped the spent primer out using a 1/16" ss welding rod. (easy)

3. I then drilled a 9/32" (don't have a 7mm metal working bit) hole through where the primer was all the way into the casing chamber. (hard to get perfectly centered due to poor skills)

4. I then took a "messed up" European and took the bottom half of the blank and turned it straight like standard slimline the the same diameter as the portion of the casing that holds the bullet. (easy) (The lower tube for a Euro is pretty close to the same length as the casing, close enough anyway [;)] )

5. I then turned down to the brass tube to make a tenon that would slide into the 9/32" hole that I had made in the casing head. About a 1/4" from the end of the tube. (easy)

6. I then inserted/wiggled the tube into the casing from the necked down end until it was flush to the end of the tube. (easy)

7. I put a couple of drops of thin CA on both ends hoping that capillary action would pull the CA into the joint. (it did [:)] )

8. After a few minutes for drying I put the casing on the mandrel to polish. Wet sanded with 600 grit and then polished with "NeverDull". It left very fine lines, which I liked. I then waxed the casing with Turtle Wax (should have used clear laquer instead, oh well)

9. I then finished turning the antler to the diameters I wanted and polished (no finish).

10. I then assembled the pen as normal, pressing in the nib first and then the mechanism.

It turned out pretty decent, I just have to do better at drilling that hole through the casing AND finding a 7mm metal working bit.

I have to give credit to Eagle though. He is the one who inspired me to do this. When I saw his pen I just had to try one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom