Please help with the bullet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emtmike

I have a problem (like that’s something new). Its with my very first bullet pen. I wrapped the insert tube about 1/8†from the top and bottom with tape then I used GG inside the shell. That was about a week ago and the glue is still not dry. It keeps expanding and coming out of the shell. Did I use to much GG, is there a way to get it to dry quicker? Or is this normal. After I get it worked out I will post a pic of the pen. Its nice>[?][?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Few thoughts,
sure does sound like too much of a good thing however I thought GG cured completely in 24 hours
temp in the shop where it is drying (think GG actually cures which would basically negate this idea)
did you wet the tube or somehow get moisture into the area of the glue (GG needs moisture to cure)
may be a reaction between tape and GG,
just some thoughts, keep us posted in results of your discoveries

Skye

I've glued a lot of things with GG without wetting anything. It does expand about double it's size apparently, so that's going to be a problem. Pretty sure it needs air to do it.

You may need to just use an epoxy that dosent require air to set.

Just off the top of my head. Havent made a bullet pen yet.

GG needs mositure to dry.

Mositure present in wood is sometimes enough to cure GG. Since you are gluing metal to metal ambient moisture in the air may not be enough.

Move the shell and tube to a enviroment with a higher humidity and a temp above 60 degrees and hope for the best.

jahlg

Instead of using tape, next time pick up some heat shrink tubing, and put a small piece where you put the tape. I then use 2 part epoxy to hold the tube in place. That way you dont worry about reaction with the tape and glue. Just the way I learned, not scientific facts!

Joe[:D]

airrat

Something else to use instead of tape is wax paper and a clamp. Cover only part of the opening allowing a little moisture and air to come into contact with the GG. Some of the GG will come out of the opening and you will have to clean it off. Never tried it with a bullet but have done it with wood blanks.

Royce Meritt

I just did 6 bullet pens this past weekend using the same techniques you did. I did notice that it took the GG a bit longer to cure than usual. I assumed it was because of the temperature in my shop ( a little cool) and lack of humidity. The relative humidity here in SE South Dakota has been INCREDIBLY low lately. I always breath a little breathe of air into the shell casings before inserting the brass tubes. I think this provides enough moisture to help the GG cure.

Butcher

Had the same thing happen to me this weekend, let it sit another day and it seems fine now.

To help the GG cure I dip the case in water, shake it out, add the GG, dip the tube, shake it off then insert. Seems to work OK for me so far.

Doing up a bunch in 30-'06 and 7.62 for the upcoming Fleet and All Navy Matches. Should be able to sell them to a bunch of Navy shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom