Please explain importance of slow speed and reversing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RegisG

I guess, I'm trying to avoid the 125 pounds of the 1221 but, do not want to give up some feature that is important.

Continuing my research on lathes and other than dependability, smoothness, overall quality, and warranty, I am curious about the importance of some of the features. For my use, mostly pens but, up to door knob size items how slow a speed is important (500, or 250, or even 60 like the 1221)?
Also, what about reverse. How and when is it important?
I registered for an intro pen class in a month but, want to be prepared then to purchase and start turning. I consider variable speed a must for me.

Appreciate information along this line.
Regis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Slow speed on a lathe comes in handy when drilling or else you will burn up bits and introduce too much heat in a blank and can ruin a segmented blank or cause stress cracks in suspect blanks. Also good for sanding and finishing. Sanding again you do not want heat. Heat is your enemy. Finishing, you do not want the CA or other finishing products flung around. Other examples too.

Reverse is a sanding thing because of grain orientation. Great for bowl turning. If you have a lathe that has it, learn how to use it because it can be dangerous if you do not understand its function.

Of the two VS is more valuable in my opinion.

Paul in OKC

Variable speed is a plus. Reversing, I haven't seen a need for in my many years of pen turning. Slow speed, unless you are going to be turning something over about 6", 500 rpm should be good. The slower rpm would come into play for large diameter turnings as it reflects surface speed in feet per minute. 500 rpm on a 10" bowl or platter would be about 1500 feet per minute on the outer edge. That's moving!

MTViper

I use slow speed every time I do a CA finish. I like to be down around 150 rpm or so. My CA finishes improved drastically after I learned to slow down. I use the reverse when I'm sanding an open grain or crosscut wood. Sand in one direction, stop the lathe, reverse and sand in the other. If you've knocked over some of the grain sanding one direction, reversing lets you pick it up and sand it off. It's like mowing in one direction then reversing the direction to pick up the grass your mower just pushed over.

Steve

magpens

For me, slow speed is important. . I turn my wood blanks at very low speed (about 20 rpm or even less) when I am applying the CA finish. . Also for some delicate sanding operations (I can elaborate if you wish).

Reverse is not important for me, but it might be if I did thread cutting where it is handy to be able to "back out" (at low speed).

I use a variable speed, reversible metal-working lathe for all my pens. . It weighs only about 90 lbs, which I find OK. . The lathe is a 7x14 model which I think Grizzly and Harbor Freight sell. . Those stores don't exist in Canada, but I believe I bought the same lathe. . I would buy from LittleMachineShop.com if I lived in the US.

I understand what Hank said about weight being your friend and that is certainly true if you are turning larger items. . However, you said you will be turning only pens and door knob sized objects. . Thing is, you might want to turn bowls & platters in the future :)

Last edited:

KenV

Welcome Regis

I have never heard a turner grumble about getting too large a lathe. I have heard a fair amount of discussion about the next (larger) lathe. Also there is grumbling by those trying to get very old lathes running if the did not realize what it takes for effort.

The heavier weight (mass) dampens vibrations and is a good thing except when moving it.

I seldom use reverse, but if you have access to stand on both sides of the lathe, it does allow some cuts easier. Can be useful for some sanding operations especially with worn abrasives.

I use slow speeds a lot. My big lathe goes very slow. My little lathe goes down to about 150 rpm. In the history of lathe work, speed is a very recent development.

Good luck with your choice and do try to buy your second lathe first.

RegisG

Welcome Regis

I have never heard a turner grumble about getting too large a lathe. I have heard a fair amount of discussion about the next (larger) lathe. Also there is grumbling by those trying to get very old lathes running if the did not realize what it takes for effort.

The heavier weight (mass) dampens vibrations and is a good thing except when moving it.

I seldom use reverse, but if you have access to stand on both sides of the lathe, it does allow some cuts easier. Can be useful for some sanding operations especially with worn abrasives.

I use slow speeds a lot. My big lathe goes very slow. My little lathe goes down to about 150 rpm. In the history of lathe work, speed is a very recent development.

Well, I just did buy my 2nd lathe first as you said.....Bought the Jet 1221vs. Now to begin learning... Taking a class in mid January at Woodcrafters

Thanks to all for tips and advice,
Regis

WriteON

Welcome Regis

Well, I just did buy my 2nd lathe first as you said.....Bought the Jet 1221vs. Now to begin learning... Taking a class in mid January at Woodcrafters

Thanks to all for tips and advice,
Regis

I started with VS1015...it is everything I need. Decided I wanted to have 2nd lathe and bought a VS1221. It is a bulldozer plus. I bought it with the stand. I have been using it for drilling and squaring(nice luxury). You bought a first class lathe that will give you years of pleasurable service and the ability to expand if you decide to do so. Enjoy your new purchase...

MTViper

When I was getting ready to buy my first lathe, I read a lot of comments from turners that said "I bought an XYZ lathe then 6 months later, I wanted something larger ..." I bought a Jet 1642 and never looked back ... until I got an offer for a lightly used Turncrafter Commander and all the trimmings. I jumped on it and now I've got my first lathe second and I've got a place to turn little things when I want to and can even sit to turn if I choose to. All in all, a pretty good deal.

Marmotjr

One comment regarding reversing. There have been times when Hollowing out a bowl that a reverse setting would have been nice, but my lathe doesn't do that. So instead, I picked up the lathe, and spun it around. Much easier to maintain a safer tool position that way.

vtgaryw

I love the reversing feature on my Rikon for pens, especially on certain woods. I will sand in each direction with each grit. Saves a lot of time on sanding. Really helps get scratches out a lot better.

-gary

Top Bottom