Please critique

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

My first attempt at a slimline without a center band and with a custom finial. I think that I need to make the barrels a little bigger and taper the finial more. The acrylic cracked on the nib end during assembly so I have to put this one aside. I was flying blind on this one so please give some tips on what to do different.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

I like the color. The final looks perfect.
On the 'nib' end it looks like you have a very steep/quick connection. I wonder how that "feels" when using it. Personally, I would taper it just a little more. I would also 'line' up the barrels if possible.

But that is my taste of style.

Last edited:

BSea

I agree that you need to taper the finial a bit. I don't think the barrels really need to be bigger. Maybe the upper barrel a little, but I think the lower barrel diameter is fine. If it were me, I'd have a slower taper from the nib. It seems to get fatter fast then level off. I'd just soften that a little. Did you undercut the upper barrel so the lower barrel will go into the recess? It looks like you did, but I can't tell for sure. I think it gives the pen a cleaner look. I didn't do that when I first started doing my own centerbands. I can sure tell the difference. I think what would be really cool would be to make the centerband and finial a solid red or blue. If you haven't done that before, just cut a tenon on the upper barrel, then drill and square a scrap red piece (if you have one), and glue it to the upper blank where you cut the tenon.

All in all, a very nice 1st effort. One year I made all my pens for the troops with fake centerbands. Some had custom finials to. It was good practice.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My first attempt at a slimline without a center band and with a custom finial. I think that I need to make the barrels a little bigger and taper the finial more. The acrylic cracked on the nib end during assembly so I have to put this one aside. I was flying blind on this one so please give some tips on what to do different.

View attachment 118475
I would lengthen the taper on the nib end and not much else.

Jim Burr

Banned
That's pretty cool! You have most of the elements of a hand-made, or kit-less...can't say kit-less...the pen kings get pissed off. Lip on the nib end could get a smoothing and could the cap end. Over all...really good job!!

TonyL

I like what you did with a slim line! I messed up a slim or creek line toward the nib. I parted-out the the lower half of the lower barrel and installed a comfort grip. My blank was very, very dark though. It is my favorite all around pen. (from a mistake :).

Karl_99

I like the design, especially the finial. I prefer a more gradual taper at the nib. I thought a red center band would have really increased the "Wow" factor. Nice work!

Hubert H

It is really nice that different people like different things. We get to make all kinds of things - sometimes even something we wouldn't choose. Personally the final looks perfect to me. Nice work!

kovalcik

I like the overall design. I agree with the comments about the nib. I would also make the custom finial a little smaller, but that is only my personal preference. The finish looks good. I would like to see the barrels aligned.

Good job overall.

Janster

...for the most part, we are all our own worst critics! IF you are happy w/it, what else matters? I have posted stuff w/o a single comment, guess what?, they still sell easily! I personally think you did a fine job of dressing up one of the most versatile kits on the market! Be well......Jan

plano_harry

The finial is totally a preference call, looks good like it is, taper would probably look good also. I would stick with the diameters you have. Most of our pens are pretty fat compared with mass produced pens, so I consider that a plus. I agree with the nib comments, again just a preference item. Try the red centerband and see how it looks.

Suggestion: knock the bottom apart. Thin CA the crack. If necessary wrap with a part bag and apply a little clamp pressure to hold the crack closed. Return the nib area to a new taper and you should have a near perfect pen, instead of a broken pen. You can build up CA as much as necessary to get a fit at the nib. Oh yea, ream the tube a little at the nib to take the reassemply pressure off.

Nice pen!

Last edited:

Cwalker935

Please critique follow- up

I knocked the original pen apart to fix the crack and ended up re-turning the upper barrel as well, added a red center band, and redid the finial in red. The center band may be a little too wide. I then applied the lessons learned to a second pen and managed to eliminate the center band and am pleased with the finial. The design may need some work but I am very pleased with how it came together.

image.jpg

Top Bottom