Playing in the basement...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grub32

I recently acquired a slightly used Rikon Midi lathe...Wow, I just started working on it tonight. I created a small space for the lathe in my basement workshop that is about 6 wide by 8 ft long. It is going to allow me to keep working through the winter on my favorite hobby.

Also, I just turned my first fountain pen, I really like it...Its very elegant.

Anyway, here is the fruits of my labors from the first night in the shop in the dungeon.

L to R- Classic American Fountain- Cocobolo- NExt is the same in Bolivian Rosewood, then an Unknown slimline, then Another Unknown Slimline and last a slim in Zebrawood.

Sorry about the picture quality, its getting late and I didnt want to set up the photo tent and then have to take it down before bed time.

Any comments would be much appreciated : )

Grub32

20082245516_pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Nice looking pens. Can't quite make out the woods on the unknowns, but from the picture my best guess would be redheart on the first one and black and white ebony on the second (it's got grain patterns like ziricote though).

JohnU

Hi, Im new today and this is my first post but maybe the color is off on my monitor but the first unknown looks somewhat like brazilian cherry and the second maybe even bocote if its near sapwood or a knot, or like above, possible zircote. Very nice pens. I havent turned fountain pens yet.

doddman70

Hi and welcome!!! congrats on the new lathe i wish i had a basement to turn in especially during the winter. your pens all look great nice job!!!!:):D[8D]

grub32

Thanks for all the comments. The basement works out very nicely. Its easily heated and close to the bathroom :D Thats important.

Grub32

Jarheaded

I have a Rikon and a Jet lathe. I almost always use the Rikon and like it better than the other one. Your pens look good. I would be proud of those. I can't tell if the second unknown is possibly spalted maple. Whatever though, Keep turning and make sure you have a good respirator in that small of an area.

grub32

Thanks Johnnie for the comments...I came back from my turning club today and they were identified as mahogany and then white/black ebony. I have the respirator in use and really makes things nice.

Grub32

Jarheaded

Its good that you have a group that knows about the wood and I am glad to hear that you are using a respirator. That cocobolo is some nasty stuff to breathe in. It would figure that Karl would have known the ebony, he is pretty smart for a guy that sent me a nice bowl blank that is going to get cut up into pen blanks.:D

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by Jarheaded

...It would figure that Karl would have known the ebony, he is pretty smart for a guy that sent me a nice bowl blank that is going to get cut up into pen blanks.:D

I think the bowl turners would cringe in horror at the sacrilege that gets performed in my shop daily my friend...so hack away! What they don't know won't hurt 'em! heh

I need to go prepare the alter again. The Mortgage gods must be satisfied!

Moombutie poondigosh! HOO! *brandishes the sacrificial saw blade*

*SCHOOOONNNK!...and the $200 chunk of wood squeals in pain and terror*

Top Bottom