Playing Around

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I was playing around today with the sierra vista and the Sierra click and was doing a couple experiments. One was using the same blank and using a white tube on the vista and a black tube on the clicker. You see the results and sure does give you options when using a blank that is somewhat transparent. The other thing was I tried the supplied refill with the small adapters and a Uniball insert and will definetly go to the Uniball on these clickers.

But the thing I am writing as a question here is as I was turning this blank and finshed my turning like I always do with a skew and then micromesh. I noticed that the ribbons throughout the blank do not finsh sand like the surround material. I even went to placeing a pice of wood behind my sanding pad to give it a little backbone. What the end result was I could feel the difference in the materials. In other words it is not a smooth glass like surface. To me it is not that bad. But I was wondering does anyone else run into this using blanks like this and if so how do you handle it.

Thanks for the replys and have a great turning day.

CopyofIMGP0451.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

I guess the acrylic is even more transparent than I thought -- very graphic demonstration. They both look great. I never noticed that the ribbon didn't finish the same, either. Thanks.

-Barry

jttheclockman

Did you get the blank at woodcraft? I had one blow apart on me yesterday right along the ribbon.

No I do not remember where I got it but I do know it wasn't from woodcraft because I never buy my pen parts there. I have done other blanks with ribbons and such and have not had this results.

Top Bottom