Playing Around

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

I don't necessarily think I'm at the point where I want to make penturning a business, but I'm getting ready to give away a couple pens to friends and I would like to include a card with the pen information on one side and my information on the back. I made up this little logo using a picture I found browsing project gutenberg, so copyrights are not an issue, plus it's been modified enough that it wouldn't matter anyway.

Please let me know what you think of it. I was going for historical with the look and think I did ok, but I'm open to suggestions.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I like the concept. Share again when you refine it some. As said above, when reduced to biz card size you'll end up with a blob.

jimbob91577

My opinion.

Space out the lettering a little bit and lighten up some of the dark areas below the scrolls. Also, remember you can use other colors - it doesn't have to be strictly monochrome.

GouletPens

When handing someone a business card you have about .5 seconds to get their attention. If you have a huge picture and a small, thin font that's hard to read NO ONE will keep your card. I like the concept but the name has to be the most pronounced, not the pic. Nice MS Paint skills though.:cool:

Snip...
I made up this little logo using a picture I found browsing project gutenberg, so copyrights are not an issue, plus it's been modified enough that it wouldn't matter anyway.

Please let me know what you think of it. I was going for historical with the look and think I did ok, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm sure copyright will not be a problem.

Since you asked
The logo looks like its standard everyday clip art.

You are trying to sell pens, so why would you use a font that looks like it was written with a scratchy pen. Choose a font that looks like it was written with a pen that can write smoothly.

Wheaties

Gonna throw in my 0.02.

A business card is just that... a business card. It's not an advertisement. Its a contact card. If I want to contact you in the future, I will keep it. I may think to myself "that looks dumb" or "why the heck did he do that" but bottom line, if I like your products, the card is just a card. I'm not going to base my purchase on what your card does or doesn't look like. So I say make something you like and leave it at that.

akbar24601

I like the logo Justin. If you are sold on the font, which I happen to like it, but I do agree with Keith that you may want it more readable. Try putting the name on one line, you may be able to make it a little larger. There should be enough room on the card for the logo at the left and the name to stretch across the card.

You were going for historic and I think you done good.

jleiwig

The whole idea behind the font was to find one similar to something that looked like the writing of the Declaration of Independence. I'm a huge history buff, so to me it has an awesome look, but I see what others are saying about the readability..etc....

As I said before though...this isn't for selling pens, but just an informational card for the owner of the pen. The inserts are going with two casing pens, for a couple of marine buddies that mean more to me than anything. There will be no money exchanged, but if one of their friends sees the pens I want them to be able to know how to get ahold of me if they would like to purchase one. I can't give them away to every serviceman and woman no matter how much I would love to...it's just not in the budget.

Thanks for the opinions everyone! Keep em coming!

Gonna throw in my 0.02.

A business card is just that... a business card. It's not an advertisement. Its a contact card.

Of course a business card is an advertisement. Sometimes the only chance you get to make an impression... so it better be good.

But hey, what do I know. I've only designed business cards for 30 years so I don't have a clue.

Wheaties

Of course a business card is an advertisement. Sometimes the only chance you get to make an impression... so it better be good.

But hey, what do I know. I've only designed business cards for 30 years so I don't have a clue.

The only chance? Really? If that's your only chance, then you have bigger problems. Unless someone finds it on the ground, but who picks up business cards and calls them just because???

The whole idea behind the font was to find one similar to something that looked like the writing of the Declaration of Independence. I'm a huge history buff, so to me it has an awesome look, but I see what others are saying about the readability..etc....

To give you an idea what I'm taking about, do a google for a font named "Shelley™ Script". (There are similar fonts that are free.)

This font is a lot cleaner looking and will give you the effect you are looking for.

C_SHEL-10005002.GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom