Platnium VS Chrome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

After seeing the gold slim that my wife uses everyday(plating wore off in 8 months) I Switched to all TiGold and Platnium. If you are selling your pens you want to keep a good reputation Buy the best. But I see people are saying the chrome holds up very well. Is buying the Platnium worth the extra over buying chrome? Thats 2 0r 3 dollars difference Rich H.

AZ Sil has good price on TiGold slims about every 3 weeks on there weekly special

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

On the durability scale, Chrome is a 4 and Platinum is a 5. Which is very little difference. I personally buy more chrome for slims, cigars, sierras, etc. and spend the extra for Platinum for the Jr Gents and higher end pens.

IMO, neither will wear off with normal use, but if your selling a pen, Platinum sounds ALOT better than chrome.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Platinum sounds ALOT better than chrome. "

Well, yes and no.

When I sold at shows, women bought slimlines and comforts for their purse. I sold a lot of pens telling them the plating was ONLY as durable as their car bumper (chrome).

HSTurning

"Platinum sounds ALOT better than chrome. "

Well, yes and no.

When I sold at shows, women bought slimlines and comforts for their purse. I sold a lot of pens telling them the plating was ONLY as durable as their car bumper (chrome).

Ed you are really showing your age with that statement.when was the last chrome bumper car sold 82-83?:biggrin:

Texatdurango

After seeing the gold slim that my wife uses everyday(plating wore off in 8 months) I Switched to all TiGold and Platnium. If you are selling your pens you want to keep a good reputation Buy the best. But I see people are saying the chrome holds up very well. Is buying the Platnium worth the extra over buying chrome? Thats 2 0r 3 dollars difference Rich H.

Probably is to the kit seller!:biggrin: Some pen makers fall for it just like some customers might.

I remember a few years ago getting some Rhodium kits mixed up with identical chrome kits. I couldn't figure out which was which. I can't recall ever buying any platinum but would imagine the differences would be similar as with rhodium/chrome.

I like the idea about the chrome bumper but think I would say.... it's as strong as the bumper on your mothers car! Makes 'em feel younger! :)

bitshird

Ed you are really showing your age with that statement.when was the last chrome bumper car sold 82-83?:biggrin:

You mean Ed's only 27? You must be talking about wagon bumbers fro around 1882 or so.
You know Ed helped invent dirt, and when he breaks wind dust storms have been known to happen.

But seriously Chrome for slimlines and Cigars and Atlas pens and Rhodium or TI for everything else. even the two tone Sierras.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Probably is to the kit seller!:biggrin: Some pen makers fall for it just like some customers might.

I remember a few years ago getting some Rhodium kits mixed up with identical chrome kits. I couldn't figure out which was which. I can't recall ever buying any platinum but would imagine the differences would be similar as with rhodium/chrome.

I like the idea about the chrome bumper but think I would say.... it's as strong as the bumper on your mothers car! Makes 'em feel younger! :)

Most of the women I sold to were very close to my age, apparently. No one ever corrected me.

OTOH, as long as they BUY the pen, I'm fine with being "wrong".

But, this IS a good approach, young George!!

John Eberly

Chrome/Rhodium/Platinum

"Chrome" plating is a hard, clear layer. The shiny silvery part is nickle underneath. Ther ARE environmental issues related to chrome plating that could maybe someday affect pricing or availability.

I believe that I can tell the difference between chrome and rhodium/platinum. I think chrome is bluer and somehow more harsh.

I use both platings, and have nothing against chrome. There is a difference, though.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
John,

This is NOT meant to be argumentative, it COULD be considered political. But, Chrome plating affects the environment, as does gold (we had all kinds of problems finding an electroplater), also rhodium has an environmental impact, let's see, how about coal plating???

Given enough time, we won't be able to do ANYTHING in the USA, but we can still have the Asians do it and SHIP it here!!

A hundred thousand pens don't equal one Peterbilt bumper, I would guess

Top Bottom