Platings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenPauli

I have been making pens for about 2 years now. I am aware of the plating wearing off on low end pens. However I was at a show last week and a customer who purchased a jr. statesman from me about a year ago showed me his pen, it was a platinum or silver plating I don't remember. I only purchase higher end platings, and was shocked when I saw how bad the finish had worn off. He said he uses it everyday. Is this common, I don't see or talk to many of the people I sell pens to but was very disappointed to see this expensive pen so worn. I usually use black ti or gold ti, and was told these also will wear through. I hope this hasn't happend to many of my other customers. Can someone let me know which plating are the most durable, and have you seen this before?

Thanks for all the info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Malainse

Paul,

I would contact CSUSA about the finish on the Jr. Statesmanand see what they have to say...

From there web site

"The stunning blend of colored insets and accent band combined with brilliant Rhodium plated components make the Jr. Statesman II a distinctive pen of unrivalled beauty. Guaranteed for a lifetime."
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-2325

jttheclockman

Penpauli brings up a good point and I too would like to hear from all you pen turners that have been making these high priced pens. Are these just show pens and are not for everyday use??? What are some of the best kits and platings out there??? When you answer have you done any background check on them?? Just because it has a high price doesn't make it a highend pen. Very interesting question.

Originally posted by jttheclockman
<br />Penpauli brings up a good point and I too would like to hear from all you pen turners that have been making these high priced pens. Are these just show pens and are not for everyday use??? What are some of the best kits and platings out there??? When you answer have you done any background check on them?? Just because it has a high price doesn't make it a highend pen. Very interesting question.

I second that. I'm just getting started in pen turning and I'm not really interested in giving pens as gifts to friends and family if the plating is going to wear off in a year. I want to make and give pens that are good users. I'll pay for kits with durable platings if there really are any.

Mikey

It doesn't seem right that the finish was worn off like that. However, did you find out how the customer is using the pen? How is it stored? What is the environment and does he work in an office or manufacturing? How did he care for it and did he use a cleaner with an abrasive perhaps?

All these are questions that you needed to ask in order to figure out why a plating like that failed. Also, the pen can be disassembled, but you will need a set of punches and some time as you don't want to damage the tubes. Go slow and make sure you knock the stuff out straight. If you start to go crooked on anything you really risk cracking the material you made the pen with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom