Plating on Triton Convertible.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Triton is chrome and "Upgrade gold". This is a gold alloy, created by Berea years ago.

I WISH it was TiGold.

Having said that, we have had no complaints about Upgrade gold. And we sell a LOT of upgrade gold--so I expect I would hear complaints if there were problems.

FWIW,
Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It is predominately chrome, like the bottom picture.

My logic: Chrome is a known entity--it is among the MOST durable platings and I have NEVER gotten a chrome pen back (in my show years). So, I prefer using the gold as an accent. ESPECIALLY on the Triton design, where the accents are NEVER going to get much wear.

We do have the Triton pen in predominately gold, as well. When I chose one to make the convertible---I chose MY favorite. Next year, we may offer both, if there is enough interest.

Hope this helps.
Ed

reiddog1

IMHO, I think the Triton can go head to head with the Jr Statesman at a fraction of the cost, as long as you buy it from Ed of course. Can't go wrong with it brother.

Dave

Parson

The triton finial looks cheap to me. Now if you turned some matching material for the finial, I would agree with you wholeheartedly, Dave.

I may have to give the Triton kit a try. I'm looking for a way to make Jr. Statesman kit pens and get a lot more profit out of the sale.

PenMan1

IMHO, I think the Triton can go head to head with the Jr Statesman at a fraction of the cost, as long as you buy it from Ed of course. Can't go wrong with it brother.

Dave

The chrome Triton CAN go head to head with the Jr. Statie! In fact, in my market, Triton chrome out sells Statie 3:1, at the same price point.

NOW, on to the gold Triton...... different story, different plating, NOT IN THE SAME CLASS AS THE STATIE.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Dave

The chrome Triton CAN go head to head with the Jr. Statie! In fact, in my market, Triton chrome out sells Statie 3:1, at the same price point.

NOW, on to the gold Triton...... different story, different plating, NOT IN THE SAME CLASS AS THE STATIE.

What makes you feel that way, Andy?

Statesman is advertised as 22kt gold (my interpretation--gold alloy)
Triton is "Upgrade gold" (my interpretation--gold alloy)

What is the noticeable difference, to you?

(Not looking to argue---I know you have a lot of "street experience" which I lack now---never too late to learn)

SCR0LL3R

I wouldn't expect the gold to hold up to the rhodium on a Statesman as far as wear resistance. I think you may have misread what he wrote. He is saying the gold Triton, not the Triton's gold. I wouldn't buy a Statesman if it's main body plating was 22k either, just like I won't buy the gold Triton with chrome accents.

It's odd that the Triton outsells the Jr. Statesman at the same price point. I think the plating on the Statesman's accents looks much,much cleaner and it has that one extra flourish too.

ghostrider

Dave

What if the Triton is Gold Ti?

And is Exotics going to get the gold Ti version?

PenMan1

Ed:
IMHO, the gold Triton looks every bit as elegant as the Jr. Statie. I like the balance and overall feel of the Triton better that the Jr. So do my customers.

The problem is that the gold clip shows wear very quickly. Don't get me wrong, I STILL sell quite a few of the gold ones, simply at the JR GENT TN price point. All Jr. States, regardless of plating, use "rhodium" clips, tips and caps.

My point was NOT that Triton isn't a great set ( you know, first hand how fond I am of Triton). My POINT was meant to say that as far as plating durability the chrome Triton is at the level of the much more expensive Jr Statesman, IF NOT BETTER!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed:
IMHO, the gold Triton looks every bit as elegant as the Jr. Statie. I like the balance and overall feel of the Triton better that the Jr. So do my customers.

The problem is that the gold clip shows wear very quickly. Don't get me wrong, I STILL sell quite a few of the gold ones, simply at the JR GENT TN price point. All Jr. States, regardless of plating, use "rhodium" clips, tips and caps.

My point was NOT that Triton isn't a great set ( you know, first hand how fond I am of Triton). My POINT was meant to say that as far as plating durability the chrome Triton is at the level of the much more expensive Jr Statesman, IF NOT BETTER!

Hey Andy!! I was definitely interested in YOUR opinion!! I need this type of feedback, so I can give MY customers (you and other penmakers) ACCURATE information.

Negatives NEED to be acknowledged---we don't improve if we believe there is NO problem!!!

THANK YOU!!!
Ed

PenMan1

Ed:
I need to explain a little more. I DO NOT HAVE NEGATIVE FEELINGS ABOUT THE GOLD TRITON. If fact, I really like it! When given a choice of building a gold Triton, 10k Jr Gent II or a JR Gent II TN, my choice (and one of the reasons I think Triton sells so well for me) is the Gold Triton.

The Tritons use a 3 piece center band. With no tools other that the usuals and a 12 mm transfer punch, I can make 6 identical Tritons and in seconds customize each to have a completely different look, just by customizing the CB and replacing the cap decoration. THIS AIN'T EASY ON GENT II!

Additionally, I see VERY LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN THE DURABILITY of Gold Triton and Jr Gent TN. I had quit making 10K Gent before Triton arrived in the market place, but still had a few ( you will remember the cap threading fiasco of Jr Gent a few years ago). The Triton gold plating seems to be much more durable than the 10K, with no goofy black threads to endure.

No negatives here for the Gold Triton, as it is still a GREAT variation from Gent TN at a better price point.

Last edited:

GoatRider

So while reading this discussion, I knew I had a gold triton kit waiting to go for a spin, and a marble/gold tru-stone blank which seemed just right for it. So I figured I should give it a try. Looks all right to me!

Attachments

• 120128_Trustone_Gold_2.jpg
    120128_Trustone_Gold_2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 89
Top Bottom