Plating - Sterling Silver vs Platinum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Platinum is more durable than Sterling, but the silver sure is pretty. I think anyone paying the premium for sterling silver (or platinum, for that matter) isn't just going to toss their pen around, and will exercise proper care with it, effectively nullifying a possible durability issue. But what do I know?

gerryr

I've been carrying a Sterling Silver Baron FP as my daily writer for well over a year now and there is no sign of the plating wearing off.

Randy_

The Sedona is a Berea kit and according to their catalog the SS parts are all solid SS and not plated. That should explain why wear of the "plating" has not been a problem. Actually that is not quite true as the clips are plated; but Berea says they have an "extremely thick silver plate. I think solid SS clips would not have the required flexibility.

ashaw

Randy
You are right Solid SS would break. As far as which finish. Either one would be fine. I have both and have seen no wear in either.

mrcook4570

The steling silver barons and sedonas are plated (20 microns thick). The el grandes and flat top americans are solid, and that is reflected in their price.

jdmyers4

Thank you for the interesting feedback and info. I generally bought gold titanium kits to start out with. But I've found I actually prefer the silver, platinum, Rhodium appearance on a lot of the pens I make now. Gold-titanium still is a nice choice, I think, if the pen has red in it - like Amboyna burl.

Tea Clipper

There are only a few kits from Berea that are solid SS, and they are denoted by having 0.925 in the description (they are also quite a bit more expensive as Stan pointed out). Neither Baron nor Sedona come in 0.925 solid SS.

redfishsc

John, I oddly feel the exact opposite on the pen plating/wood color combo.

Most any pen I make that has much red in it will tend to get either a silver(rhodium/chrome) plating or a black-ti plating. The same for yellow woods like yellowheart, movingue, osage, or chocte viga.

The ones that get gold are the ebony/blackwood types, any amber colored wood (the color of blo) like masur birch.

Randy_

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />The steling silver barons and sedonas are plated (20 microns thick). The el grandes and flat top americans are solid, and that is reflected in their price.

Well, I see that I have screwed up!!
2007522233912_shakehead.gif

I took what I read on the Berea site and applied it to Berea kits being sold by Bill @ AS. Twas a mistake to do so and I apologize to those that I may have mislead and thank those who set me straight. I should have been more careful in assembling my "facts." That is one of the great things about IAP.....there is always something new to be learned.....and especially so for dummies like me who fail to check their information. Again, my apologies.

And now a question for Stan.....that is a great piece of information about the plating thickness!! I wonder where you came buy it and whether there is information available on the thickness of the other platings used by the Berea made kits?? Thanks.

Tea Clipper

Randy, since Bill sells Berea products, the information should be the same. You can find the description that Stan refers to on Bill's pen kit image page after scrolling down a bit. To quote:
Sterling Silver: the Baron rollerball and fountain pen kits feature this plating. The parts receive a restaurant grade 20 micron plating to ensure the beauty lasts for many, many years.
Hope that helps.

Randy_

Thanks for the information, Ron. For some reason, I have trouble finding information on the Berea site and on Bill's site as well. Someone said the Baron and the Sedona are Berea kits; but sold exclusively by AS so I guess that may explain why the information on silver plating can't be found on the Berea site??

Tea Clipper

Randy, your info is correct: The Baron and Sedona are Berea kits sold exclusively by AS... unless you count the Woodcraft Navigator...

I just checked Berea's website and will agree with you that the info isn't easy to find. It's not even listed under their "About Plating" page either. [:(]

Solid Sterling Silver: http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/kits/pres.cfm#1
Plated Sterling Silver: can't find it, might just be an AS thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom