Plating Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kennosborne

Ok here's the deal ... I have some pens, about 4 years old, and something got on the gold (24k)and messed up the plating. I took some Brasso and striped off the gold plating down to what I assume to be nickle. I love the look of it and was wondering how it holds up. Does it tarnish like brass or copper?

Rifleman1776

If they are inexpensive Slimlines, it isn't worth worrying about. Chalk it up as a lesson as to why you should consider sticking with only better platings. Strip them all and experiment. Use them in your home and shop but don't sell or give as gifts.

Randy_

Nickle is harder than 24K gold; but if it is thinly plated, it will wear off too. I think Frank gave you some pretty good advice.

Oh yeah.........according to a few Internet sites, nickle does tarnish. I don't know the details so can't say how bad it gets or how long it takes.

redfishsc

FWIW, I made a pen out of solid brass once (slimline) and used a black crome kit from Woodturingz. I didn't like the look of the brass and black, so I, on a whim, buffed off the black chrome with a buffing wheel charged with jeweler's rouge. I also buffed the brass with it.

All the black came off nice and left a shiney silver whatever-it-is metal. It did has been sitting, not used much, for nearly 2 years now and the silver still looks good and the brass looks like 2 year old brass (I didn't have any powdercoating ability).

Give it a try. Use those kits to make weirdo pens out of weirdo material and stretch your brain. Have fun. If something turns out cool, make another one out of a good durable coating (the ti gold or chrome or so) and sell that puppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom