Plating query for Lou

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

timdaleiden

Hi Lou,

I remember you posting the results of some actual scientific tests on plating wear a while back. I very much appreciated your time and effort in doing these tests. I would love to see an actual article written up on some of this stuff, if that is possible.

If I remember correctly, not all currently available platings were tested. I also noticed that Top Coats, such as Ren Wax, were not evaluated to see if they actually add any durability. Also noticeably missing were specific supplier names. I assume supplier names were left out for a reason.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see more on this subject, provided you can do it without incurring any great costs or legal liability issues.

If there are too many issues involved in providing more than you have, thanks for what you have already provided.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Wow, Tim, what a memory. Here's a link to the topic. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2141

As I mentioned at the time, while I did try to control most of the variables, it really wasn't a scientific test. Also, I only ran the test once, so I didn't have a validation phase.

The test was only done to try to give an indication of the durability of the various harware finishes, and the results were pretty much in line with my (and others') expectations. I didn't test or report on the results by supplier for two reasons. The first was that it was only a one-test study. The second was because, at the time, I was in a position of perceived influence and did not want to upset any supplier.

I didn't test build finishes or top coats at all. The main reason for not testing build finishes or top coats is because I'm really not an expert at applying the wide variety of finishes used across the membership. At some point right around that time I had an offer from the folks that make Nelsonite to test and report on their product but they never followed through.

I'd love to work on a follow-up but will need some volunteers to help with various parts of the process. Let me work up a methodology and I'll post it here. If there is interest, I'll proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom