Plating Quality?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I have been getting most of my kits and supplies from one particular supplier, but I have been noticing that the plating on most of the parts that I get from them have little scratches when I get them. They are nothing huge, I don't notice them until I am inspecting them for fitment, and there is usually only 1 or 2 per part, but they are enough to bother me.

Is this normal for pens that are not "fancy"? I don't think I have paid more that $3.50 for a kit yet, but each part comes in its own zippy, so I don't think they are rattling together in the bag.

Am I being too picky for the price I am paying? If so, how nice of kits do I need to start buying to be confident in really nice finishes?

ToddMR

If they are slimlines and not the fancy line, I might switch suppliers or talk to the supplier. I haven't had that issue much at all personally. Some finishes are more substitutable to scratches though. For instance the satin pearl, I don't use that one personally anymore, scratches too easy. I have bought cigar kits online regularly and most cost $4-$5 a piece and I have not personally had that issue.

Hope you figure it out. Even with the plastic bags, scratches can still happen.

omb76

You're not being too picky. Regardless of the price you pay, the kits should arrive in perfect condition. What happens after that can be attributed to soft platings, etc. If there is a problem with scratches when you get them, then the supplier needs to be made aware of it so he can take corrective action. I think many times we don't want to raise a fuss over an inexpensive kit as we have little invested, but hey $3.50 is $3.50 of your money that you work hard to get. I've found that any vendor that I have worked with is eager to make things right when I've called with a problem.

Top Bottom