Plating on pen kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

Ok in talking to somebody, that found out I'm starting to do pens They insist that they will buy a couple dozen pen and pencil sets, but they have to be in 24K gold and one of 7mm styles they refereed to them as skinny. I tried to explain that the 24K plating isn't the best. Not that I will worry about losing the sale as they are a BIGG Talker no follow through! :rolleyes:
But it got me thinking, from some of the posting on this form. I have a number of practice slimline style kits bought in the deals in assorted plating's. And a number of better quality kits for when my ability improves.

The question I have is what is the best plating style(material) for pen use. I am not planning on selling in the near term future. But would like it if the pens I make don't loose their plating in the storage case!
:clown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Good but

Here is a quick guide. There is a better one out there but for the life of me I can't find it at the moment.

eBay Guides - Pen Kit Plating Options Guide

edit....Here's the other one I was looking for.

Pens and Platings 101 - Woodturners Catalog - Woodworking tools and supplies specializing in woodturning.

Both are useful but have, what I think to be, some errors. One says that platinum will wear better than rhodium - that is probably not true, platinum itself is a soft metal like gold and silver and would have similar wear qualities.

Black chrome is actually about the same as Chrome (it is Chrome after all) but one of the lists shows it as much more prone to wear than chrome.

For general use chrome is not as bright as rhodium but will last about as long and costs a whole lot less.

The thickness of the plating can have some impact on wearability. Usual thickness is 2 - 4 microns but can be increased 50% at low or no cost and even thicker if desired.

PTsideshow

Ok thanks between the two of them I should be able to work a chart for myself. It is nice to have some place to turn to get some straight and correct answers.
Starting at the best and working down:
Rhodium
Titanium both black and gold
Chrome both black and chrome
10k gold
The nickel alloys
Then silver and gold alloys
The copper alloys, gun metal, satins, mattes,tacticals and enamels

The powder coat either clear or colored depending on prep and application, can be good or bad.

Does the above condensed list about some it up.

PTsideshow

Thank you for those corrections. I haven't found a thorough listing like this in the library. Perhaps we can all come to a consensus and I'll throw a document together to post?
That would be a great addition as it is easy to start out with a shorter inventory than a larger inventory of parts that will com back to haunt you at a later date!

Carl Fisher

I know I started out with a lot of 24kt stuff since it was cheap. I regret it now but they provided a good learning experience.

Honestly though, I use my very first pen turned at the CSUSA booth from last year every day and it's a cheap 24kt slimline. Plating has held up fine so far while I have a Sierra Elegant PITH pen that the gold plating has come off in only a matter of months. Go figure.

Haynie

Just explain to the guy that you are not in the habit of making crap, and you do not want your name attached to inferior products. Yes it will cost more but you will not be ashamed of the product.

PTsideshow

Just explain to the guy that you are not in the habit of making crap, and you do not want your name attached to inferior products. Yes it will cost more but you will not be ashamed of the product.
He wouldn't buy a pen if his mother's life depended on it! Besides he steals them from the bank!:rolleyes: He is all mouth and big deals, and never any follow through.:eek:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yes

Ok thanks between the two of them I should be able to work a chart for myself. It is nice to have some place to turn to get some straight and correct answers.
Starting at the best and working down:
Rhodium
Titanium both black and gold
Chrome both black and chrome
10k gold
The nickel alloys
Then silver and gold alloys
The copper alloys, gun metal, satins, mattes,tacticals and enamels

The powder coat either clear or colored depending on prep and application, can be good or bad.

Does the above condensed list about some it up.
It does, keeping in mind that the differences at the bottom of the list are negligable.

What you will often see as rhodium is white gold (60% gold, 20% copper and 20% palladium) or silver with a thin Rhodium coating to add the wear quality...the entire plating is not going to be rhodium.

Rhodium can also be applied over chrome and increases the brightness but doesn't ad much for wear.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
When I have an uninformed customer who thinks that 24kt gold is the best thing and will not listen to anything, I tend to do one of two things,Either give them gold ti. and let them think it is 24kt or I let them know that the plating is going to wear quickly and I am available to make replacements for them at full cost of the original. They usually end up listening to me after I show them some used pens with worn plating.

Also, if you think the guy is all talk, make sure you get a non-refundable deposit that will cover your expenses before you start.

Last edited:
Personally I like to leave it at gold or silver. If they ask I tell them I use TI gold and don't give them the option of 24 ct gold. For silver it's their budget that decides. Fancier the pen, the better the plating. I find more people are interested in the blank materiel than what the hardware is plated with.

doddman70

I often think we as the Pen maker put more thought and worry into the plating than our customers, Now I have not done any large art shows but have done some smaller ones, most of mine are sold through stores, one of those is an actual Pen Store with all the big name and expensive pens, Not one time have i ever been asked about the plating or the wearability of the plating it has always been more about what "looks good" to the customer. I'm sure others have had different experiences in regards to plating but in my experience it has never been an issue.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yep

I often think we as the Pen maker put more thought and worry into the plating than our customers, Now I have not done any large art shows but have done some smaller ones, most of mine are sold through stores, one of those is an actual Pen Store with all the big name and expensive pens, Not one time have i ever been asked about the plating or the wearability of the plating it has always been more about what "looks good" to the customer. I'm sure others have had different experiences in regards to plating but in my experience it has never been an issue.
And, well you should - your customer doesn't think he/she ought to be concerned about plating wearing off - I guarantee that I never gave that a thought until I started making pens.

packerb

Plating

I have be plating 24 kt gold hardware for bamboo fly rods for about 10 yrs. The comments I seen are correct. Plating is a science, doing it correctly made a world of difference in durability. An excellent source of information is from the plating experts. http://caswellplating.coml

Top Bottom