Plating peeling? Is this common or foul play by user! pics included

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Hi,

Just received this pen back after about a years use. Was part of a consignment, by was returned to them by one of there customers.

Apparently nothing has been done to it, no dropping, contamination etc? Does this look like a genuine plating defect, or is there a bit of tampering going on?

The plating is Chrome, but the flaking has only occur on one part of the kit, the nib that unscrews for the refill (cigar kit)

Any help would be great!

PHIL

Attachments

• Plating.jpg
    Plating.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 198
  • plating2.jpg
    plating2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

Hi,

Just received this pen back after about a years use. Was part of a consignment, by was returned to them by one of there customers.

Apparently nothing has been done to it, no dropping, contamination etc? Does this look like a genuine plating defect, or is there a bit of tampering going on?

The plating is Chrome, but the flaking has only occur on one part of the kit, the nib that unscrews for the refill (cigar kit)

Any help would be great!

PHIL
I've never seen plating go bad like this, but I can't imgine anything that they could have done to make it happen. Once it started pealing, they probably helped it along, but who wouldn't?

Luckily, it's a really easy fix. I'd screw a new chrome tip on it and move on.

philb

Cheers guys,

Im guessing its just a plating defect in that part seen as the rest hasn't shown any signs of damage.

At least its on one of the easiest parts to replace!

Thanks for the help!

PHIL

Russianwolf

Haven't seen it on our kits, but it looks like the chrome failure that I've seen on some poorly plated bumpers before.

That lovely copper color underneath is the last prep stage before the chrome coating is put on. If the entire process isn't done just right, without contamination, the plating will fail.

rwyoung

I've seen chrome plating failure before. Even "helped" it along by nervously picking at the plating on a "nice" pencil I once had. I don't know that I'd call it foul play. A bad habit of fiddling with things, but not foul play...

philb

Yeah it will be a freebie repair as its on a consignment and its already been sold on by them! Got to keep them happy! Luckily have a few chrome kits that cracked or similar on completion so I can salvage from those!
But an easy enough repair as that's the part on the kit that is designed to be removed! So could of been worse!

PHIL

philb

especially if it was the centre ring, as that is near impossible to get back out! That black plastic centre band is a very tight fit! Anywhere else is easy-ish!

Chris Bar

Have seen chrome plating fail in exactly the same manner, believe caused by contamination of surface before the chome was applied in the bath.

Top Bottom