Plating Issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello everyone my names C.J. and I just joined today. I've been turning for about two years and have run across an issue. I started turning the slimline pens from psi. I had no issue with the finish on those. I then bought the funline special pack for 45$. All of the pens I've turned with these kits have had the plating wear off. My pens tip and band have almost all of the plating worn off. Is this a ongoing issue or was it some thing that just happened to me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

While I don't have any personal experience with the PSI Funline pens, there is likely a reason (which you have found) that their lifetime warranty does not apply to them.

There are a lot of discussions, and a lot of ongoing debate about plating quality, durability, and in some cases, what the plating actually is. I can say that the normal 24k gold finishes will wear rather quickly, and I would expect similar from some of the less common finishes (like the brushed copper, satin gold, etc). I have had a very FEW other finishes like nickel and even one Gold Ti (which many feel is among the most durable) actually chip and peel off, but it was in no way a recurring issue with multiple pens, so I chalk that up to incidental rough handling.

Quite personally, I would be happy making Chrome pens all day long, I've never had an issue with a chrome pen...YMMV

blujnkd1

the funline pen kits from psi are an economy price pens that are not very durable the slimline pens are a more durable finish

SDB777

Welcome aboard!!!!

Have any photo's you can share?
Were the pen kits like this when you removed them from the packages, or were these turned items you have been using daily for two years? Trying to figure out a timeline is all, not trying to make a 'thing' out of it....

Guess I'm lucky, I haven't had any issues, but then again I haven't ordered anything from PSI in years!

Scott (blueberry swirl cake....WOOHOO!!) B

Top Bottom