Plating durability chart?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

underdog

Is there a plating durability chart somewhere that spells out the pros and cons of each hardware plating? I couldn't find one with a cursory search or a peek in the library.

I just need a decent summary...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

underdog

It's a start but there are others...I don't think all of them will agree 100% with that one. And there are a number of other finishes that they don't seem to carry or have on their list. I don't think I saw Gun Metal there.

And? Come on Smitty, you're holding out on me... :tongue:

On another note, I saw this line in my Woodcraft catalog:

Platinum. Other kit manufacturers use rhodium, but we chose the true platinu for its rich luster, wear and corrosion resistance.
But in the PSI catalog they list rhodium under "Platinum Group".

I gather there's not much difference between the platinum and rhodium?

SCR0LL3R

Rhodium is significantly harder than platinum. Chrome is also harder than platinum, I do believe... That's going by the wording on the Berea Hardwoods link I gave.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Rhodium is significantly harder than platinum. Chrome is also harder than platinum, I do believe... That's going by the wording on the Berea Hardwoods link I gave.
Platinum has good wear qualities. It isn't quite as bright as Rhodium but it can be plated thicker because rhodium tends to get brittle when the plating is still very thin. Platinum jewelry is often "flash" plated with a very thin coat of rhodium to make it appear brighter. Same thing is done with white gold. In those cases the rhodium wears off very quickly.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It's a start but there are others...I don't think all of them will agree 100% with that one. And there are a number of other finishes that they don't seem to carry or have on their list. I don't think I saw Gun Metal there.

Platinum. Other kit manufacturers use rhodium, but we chose the true platinu for its rich luster, wear and corrosion resistance.

Platinum is easier to work with and can be plated thicker. Rhodium is always applied in a very thin coating because it gets brittle when the coating thickness exceeds about 20 - 30 microns. Rhodium is a little brighter than platinum and is often 'flash' plated on platinum (and white gold) jewelry to make it appear brighter in the store. That plating will wear off very quickly. Rhodium is often used on silver jewelry in a more perminent coat to make it more durable and resistant to corrosion it does not make silver brighter because silver is already brighter than rhodium.

It is not uncommon for platings called platinum to have no platinum or rhodium in them, being made with white gold which is 60% gold, 20% palladium and 20% other metals. Some Rhodium platings start with that alloy as a base with a thin plate of rhodium on top. White gold might be made with nickel but in the USA I don't think nickel is allowed in jewelry because some folks are allergic to it.

A search on pen kit platings should turn up a couple of other tables, there is one floating around associated with eBay that provides information on more platings. There are quite a few platings that are not well documented that I have found --- enamels, antique copper, antique bronze, Aluminum, satin chrome, satin silver and probably some others.

Last edited:

frank123

A huge difference in price of the metals.

Which leads me to wonder if the plating thicknesses are the same or maybe rhodium being thinner because of the much higher costs.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

A huge difference in price of the metals.

Which leads me to wonder if the plating thicknesses are the same or maybe rhodium being thinner because of the much higher costs.
Rhodium is thinner for the reason I gave - the cost would make no difference.

Top Bottom