Plating differences

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I've begun to show some of my pens to neighbors and such, gave away a couple to some wives and sold a few. Interesting.

I got a few questions about the plating on the kits. I know somewhere I've seen a good explanation of all the different plating choices and how they wear, etc., but I cant remember where.

Anyone know a good link or something here in Penturners that gives a pretty good in depth explanation of it.

thanks.

ldb2000

Ti Gold , Black Ti , Platinum/Rhodium are all the best platings , they will last the longest under average usage .
Chrome is also a very good plating and will last almost as long as the above .
10k gold or upgrade gold as some companies call it won't hold up as well as the above but still better then 24k gold .
gunmetal , black chrome and what some call black chrome (actually a black epoxy coating) and the satins will hold up ok but will wear faster then the above platings and scratch easily .
24k gold is the softest of the platings and even if it's epoxy coated it will wear rather fast .
CSUSA and PSI both have a listing of the most common platings and coatings but do tend to exaggerate the durability of the lesser platings and coatings .
Do a search of the library to find lots of posts about platings .

Top Bottom