plastic vs acrylic ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RonInSpringTX

ok just a question. Tonight I started turning some purple/black swirl "aquabright plastic" blanks from PSI for a cigar pen. It was listed on the last blanks page of the newest PSI catalog, but it is labeled different than the other "acrylester" or "mica/crushed pearl", or other acrylics & stuff. I noticed drilling the blanks & when I started turning them (about 2000 rpm w/gouge then with skew once rounded a little slower) anyway, I noticed the material works quite different. My wife thought I was melting part of the blank, but I assured her, the speed and the sharpness of my tools, no way!! I showed her the way the blank came from PSI, 2 sides very shiny & the 2 opposite sides dull. (kinda same way they looked after I took them down a little bit) I don't turn for minutes on end and I let piece/tools cool. (not that they feel even warm!) Do I stay with my same plan as with acrylics?? These really do feel more "rubbery" than the acrylic. What ya thinking?? Thanks in advance for your opinions & expertise!!

Ronnie

fiferb

Sounds like what CSUSA calls their celluloid. My suggestion is to keep on going. If you don't think your melting the blanks then you are probably right. I often get very long strings of material going down into the dust collector from this stuff and that is with a roughing gouge. Finish it like you do other plastics.

rherrell

I just have a comment. I've turned alot of plastic and have never stopped to let it cool. Try not stopping once, I really don't think it's necessary and it might speed things up a bit for you.:)

gerryr

I suggest speeding up your lathe, 2000 rpm is really slow. I turn all my pens at 3650. And I agree with Rick, unless I have some other reason to stop I just keep turning until it's the diameter I want. I have never had any kind of plastic blank overheat while turning and if I did, I would re-sharpen my skew because that's the most likely cause.

Top Bottom