Plastic type blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ysottot

I like the colors offered using plastic but the fumes are a killer. I have asthma so I wear a mask with can type filters. Very uncomfortable and it stinks up the house for hours. My question is do the stabilized pen blanks give off the same toxic fumes? I'd like to try one but not if I have to wear the mask and wait till my wife go out for the day.
Made an acrylic pen last month and didn't use the mask. Wheezed for the next 24 hours. [xx(]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Stabilized to have odors just like the synthetics. I have a small fan mounted on my headstock that blows fine dust and fumes away from me. You might consider investing in Triton, or similar, respirator.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Shop___Safety___Safety_Supplies___Triton_Respirator___triton?Args=
Not cheap, but then, neither is your health.
BTW, many woods give off fine dust that can be an irritant, or worse, for many folks.

ElMostro

Alumilite does not small as bad as PR...only problem is the blanks are not available comercially ( that I know of)are custom made and are more expensive than PR. But like Rifleman said, regardles if you are turning wood or synthetics wearing at least a dust mask is ALWAYS a good idea.[;)]

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Better yet, use a respirator!

I have asthma too, and that respirator is a great way to prevent any dust (wood or plastic) from getting into my lungs. And keep an inhaler on hand, just in case!

Although - I haven't really had to use my inhalers (or worry too much about a respirator) since I switched medications. My doctor put me on a really expensive one that works really well for me - so if your asthma isn't well controlled, you might want to look into other treatment options...

Good luck,
Andrew

gerryr

You have got to be kidding! You have asthma and you turned a pen with absolutely no lung protection?????????????? With asthma, anything less than a Triton or Trend Air Shield is inviting potentially disastrous consequences. I have and use a Triton for all turning and sanding and I don't have asthma. I just value my ability to continue breathing. But then, I also wear helmets for downhill skiing and bicycling.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />You have got to be kidding! You have asthma and you turned a pen with absolutely no lung protection?????????????? With asthma, anything less than a Triton or Trend Air Shield is inviting potentially disastrous consequences. I have and use a Triton for all turning and sanding and I don't have asthma. I just value my ability to continue breathing. But then, I also wear helmets for downhill skiing and bicycling.

Having just graduated from Uni, I can't afford a Triton! :) One day, I will get one, but it's not in the budget for now. Lungs are important, but so's being able to buy food! [:D]

What I REALLY need is a new facemask that lets me use my respirator - the one I use now sits too close to my face to allow that!

Andrew

GBusardo

Andrew, I've seen a bubble type face mask that looks like there would be plenty of room for the dusk mask. This is the one I found.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Shop___Safety___Safety_Supplies___Bubble_Visor___bubble_visor?Args=

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have the Triton and use it particularly when I use finishes such as CA or any fine sanding. I realize that some people cannot afford the $200 cost and there are alternatives.

1. A fan as Frank suggested.
2. dual filter respirators such as:
Click here and also here!

My allergies come mostly from CA finish and very fine dust. I have no problems with normal flat work sawing and working. I also do not have problems with turning wood, just the fine finish and especially CA fumes and dust. For most wood turning I do use a respirator similar to the two mentioned above, but change to the Triton when fine sanding and CA finishing.

If you can't afford ad Triton or Trend, have severe allergies or asthma, at least get a dual filter respirator like that mentioned in the "click here" above. What is needed is a good tight fit with soft rubber cushions that will conform to the face with a good seal. The white or blue doctors masks do not seal well enough for some people, and with severe allergies or asthma, a good seal is an absolute.

PenPal

Breathing Problems.

I have a friend who has extreme problems he solved for a small amount of money.
1. He installed a 3 inch length of plastic pipe thru the roof of his workshop,on the top a returning two elbows to keep the rain out.
2 At the bottom installed a fan similar to a Computer fan in a box to suck the air from outside with an adapter to flex vac hose 1 1/2 inch size to a clear helmet to give a positive air flow over and down his face.

He now turns for hours with no discomfort,no medical problems,he has to use an inhalator and medication for his extreme asthma normally.

Take care. Peter

PenPal

Breathing 2

Just followed the link Garry provided to the bubble type helmet ideal to convert.

Hank I had this mind pic of a thousand foot pipe to get from your workshop to the outside atmosphere in your building.

Another souce of air flow can be generated by a second hand hood hair dryer that marketed in this country by Sunbeam,my mate used that first then the computer fan.It gives a good comfortable flow of air.Some times you can solve your problems cheaply ,easily incidentally he is a bowl turner so he generates 50 times the problem dust and fumes a pen turner would.I personally have great success with a bag free domestic cleaner linked thru the bed of my lathe under the blank that takes most all dust,the curls and chips fly away any way around the bed.
Regards Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom