Plastic Laminates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

Does anyone have a line on a low-cost supplier of plastic laminates? Like the kind used to make guitar pickguards and engraved nametags. I would like to use them for color accents on some of my pens. I have the fiber washers but would like something a little thicker.

I have called the local music stores in the Columbus area for getting the ones replaced with no success. I have talked to a few office supply stores as well and they weren't receptive either.

On top of that I can't find the magic search combination for the internet either.

Must be one of those weeks![xx(]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

Bill,

Do you have a local trophy supplier? Here in the Memphis area we have several (Tri-State Trophy is on). You could check with them.

Ryan

low_48

You can try the engraving stock businesses. They have multiple color laminate that name tags are routed in. Most are 2 colors, one thin on the surface, a backer color that is thicker. Try this link;

http://signcatalog.hostasaurus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=LASERMARK

M

Mudder

Grizzly sells the pick guard material if that is what you want.
Type in pick guard in the search box at www.grizzly.com and you should find it.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Yes, that will do nicely. Can't believe the price of the closeout pens. I can't hardly get the kits for that price!
I know what you mean. Most likely these are Oceania manufactured pens...the kits are made over there and cost the equivalent of about thirty cents us or less. The blanks are under a dime and the labor...well, we all know about labor in the third world. With this kind of cost structure, it's no wonder that they can pass through three or more middle men on the way to the US market and still sell for $10 at some craft shows. (Did you ever notice on the Berea instructions, the Republic of China address?)

jkirkb94

I bought my pick guard from Stewart-MacDonald. I got prompt response and their sheets of pick guard are enough to keep me supplied for many years. Kirk[8D] http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickguard_materials.html

tipusnr

I never thought my 500th post would be a downer but that's the way it goes. I got my shipment from Universal Laser Systems today. The pen boxes were well constructed and worth the money. The rosewood pens they were closing out were worth the $2.+ that I paid but definitely no competition to even the straight slimlines I make. Finish looks like some sort of sealer burnished and the hardware thin. The cross refills were the best part of the pens!

Now the downer! The colored part of the laminate is so thin that you can't see it from the edge. Now, for my purposes, I have two pieces of white plastic for accenting my pens. Good quality plastic but definitely not what I had in mind for my penmaking.

So back to the drawing board!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Bill...check this out. These guys have a good rep in the guitar making/repair bus and their products look like they might fit what you want. http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=guitar_pickguards_main
http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=pickgaurds_g_material [8D]

tipusnr

Good looking material and good prices as well. Thanks for the info. I sent for the catalog as my wife is a string player (viola & violin) and we may have a use for more of their stuff.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hi Mac...I should have made it more clear, but there are two links there. One of them gives the thickness and the layering of the guards. Most of them are .09" but a few are .06". A tenth of an inch is not much, but it should be enough to give separation. If you need more, rough up the surface a little and stack-glue pieces. [8D]

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />
Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Yes, that will do nicely. Can't believe the price of the closeout pens. I can't hardly get the kits for that price!
I know what you mean. Most likely these are Oceania manufactured pens...the kits are made over there and cost the equivalent of about thirty cents us or less. The blanks are under a dime and the labor...well, we all know about labor in the third world. With this kind of cost structure, it's no wonder that they can pass through three or more middle men on the way to the US market and still sell for $10 at some craft shows. (Did you ever notice on the Berea instructions, the Republic of China address?)

To be exact it is Taiwan (formerly known as Formosa), not the Peoples Republic of China (formerly known as "Red China")!![:p]
Berea has a production over there. Btw, as far as I know all kits
we use come from overseas, mostly I guess Taiwan.[xx(]

Rudy

wayneis

Yes Rudy you are right on, I have talked to People form the different Companies and they all get teir kits from the same Country, even Jimmy at Wood Pen Pro gets his kits from Taiwan.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom