Plastic Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

they all turn relatively the same (just have a sharp skew and you should be OK), and there's a ton of places to get them. pretty much anywhere you can buy wood blanks, you can also buy plastic. try beartoothwoods.com or woodturningz.com or look in the member links pages for more.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
There are loads of folks right here that sell wood and plastics. But my favourites are Ed4copies :(and his better ( much better ) half, PR Princess:D. She is also much better looking too ( Or so I've been told )[}:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Charles,

I would differ with Andrew - all plastics are NOT created equal. Not even all Polyresin is created equal.

While I appreciate Skippy plugging our products, and he is correct about the princess AND her Polyresin, there IS more to the story.

If you start with Acrylester, you will probably abandon all plastics as "not worth the trouble" because it shatters.

To a lesser degree, our imported Alternative jade and amber are difficult to turn.

At the other end of the spectrum are the "cats" I import. This is the easiest resin I have ever turned - yes, I am prejudiced, but look at those who have posted pens from this material. Most of them comment on the ease of turning - heck if Cav can turn it.............well, never mind!

Acrylic is also easy to turn and MANY suppliers now have it, including CSUSA who claim it is celluloid mix (MAY be, but not much celluloid), also Beartoothwoods has nice acrylics (AND they are round, makes life easier). Same (or very similar) material is available from Woodcraft and Berea (both square, not so simple).

Well, that'll get you started. If there is a specific material you are looking at, just post what it is. Someone will tell you how difficult turning it will be.:D:D

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
All plastics are not the same for me. Learn on Dawn's Poly Resin (DPR) available from the PR Princess or Ed4copies. It's beautiful and it turns and polishes easily. Even "I" can handle them...and I'm a wood guy.

ahoiberg

i guess my statement was a little falsely generalized. i just haven't run into any brittle ones yet and i've ordered from a few different suppliers (ed being one of them and his pearl white is real nice). i think most of the stuff that's labeled acrylic or PR should be relatively easy for you to start with, the whole plastic scene is a little overwhelming!

follow3

Originally posted by ed4copies

Charles,

I would differ with Andrew - all plastics are NOT created equal. Not even all Polyresin is created equal.

While I appreciate Skippy plugging our products, and he is correct about the princess AND her Polyresin, there IS more to the story.

If you start with Acrylester, you will probably abandon all plastics as "not worth the trouble" because it shatters.

To a lesser degree, our imported Alternative jade and amber are difficult to turn.

At the other end of the spectrum are the "cats" I import. This is the easiest resin I have ever turned - yes, I am prejudiced, but look at those who have posted pens from this material. Most of them comment on the ease of turning - heck if Cav can turn it.............well, never mind!

Acrylic is also easy to turn and MANY suppliers now have it, including CSUSA who claim it is celluloid mix (MAY be, but not much celluloid), also Beartoothwoods has nice acrylics (AND they are round, makes life easier). Same (or very similar) material is available from Woodcraft and Berea (both square, not so simple).

Well, that'll get you started. If there is a specific material you are looking at, just post what it is. Someone will tell you how difficult turning it will be.:D:D

Hey Ed and Dawn,

Do you have any of your PR listed for sale on the site, or do you have a web site?

You mentioned the "cats" that you import, what are they?

Thanks,
Steve

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Steve - Ed and Dawn access the site from their business. Send an email through the forum asking for Ed's CAT-alog. Ed's reasonably good about responding, Dawn, however, is reliable. :D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by DCBluesman

Ed - I think you meant "good looking for a Stooge"...kind of like Moe. [8D]

Nah, she falls for all the rich, smart guys. You just happen to be one of the "pretty faces", too.;););)

I'm over it.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

PR_Princess

Nah, she falls for all the rich, smart guys.

Geeze..thanks, Ed. :(:(:(

Now I'm going to have an inbox overflowing with emails from every guy on the on the site. Great. Just GREAT. That should keep me busy typing for a few years. Sigh.. just another plot to keep me here at the office chained to my desk, hey???? Well, it won't work this weekend I tell you!!! [:0][:0][:0]

You opening your own dating service or something? "Ed-Harmony.net"??

[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

Top Bottom