Plastic Blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank-you John and Tim!!!

However, Carson, "best" can mean many things.
IMO, the feather blanks are among the "prettiest" pens I have ever seen--so they are the best.
BUT if you mean the easiest to turn--there are LOTS of possibilities from us and others.

If you mean "best" color, again it is subjective, but Dawn's resins (handmade resin is the area on exotics) are right up there with many others, in the "Best" category.

If you mean most similar to the most expensive pens made commercially, we have a few imported blanks that would qualify.

So, hope this helps, but you could help me by defining "best"!!!

Thanks,
Ed

DurocShark

True.

My favorite blank to turn so far is soapstone. That stuff is a true pleasure to turn, but the dust is a bear.

PR is my second favorite, particularly mine. (Just because I have the formula tuned with my turning technique.)

Third is bakelite, but I'm less enamored of finishing it. I prefer to just buff it up.

I've done exactly one trustone and hated it. Looked great when done, but a PITA to turn.

cozee

Having turned a couple of hundred "alternative wood" blanks, and a couple hundred more blanks on the shelves, I will say there is no one person or business that has the best blanks overall. There are many retailers who sell good blanks along with many individuals who make and sell blanks. More times than not, it is the turner themselves which can make a mediocre blank become the best blank. There is a vast amount of differences at time between materials and knowing of these and how to turn them is the end result of a "best" blank.

My suggestion is to make sure you undestand how to turn "plastic" blanks then get a few of the easier to turn ones and practice. And definitely do not limit yourself to simply one source for blanks!!! Take advantage of the classifieds here and at other boards, and especially the sales that retailers have!!!

snyiper

The flat out easiest for me are the ones made from PVC pipe!!! I believe Bruce119 had some for sale a while back not sure if he still dabbles in that stuff. Very plain color all the way through easy to get ribbons while cutting. finishes easy and is very forgiving. That being said you need SHARP tools for any of it.

DurocShark

Oh, yeah, I loved that stuff. I bought some from Bruce way back when.

That blue was my wife's grandmother's favorite color. I was able to make a pen for her from that stuff, and she loved it. Haven't seen it since she passed away. I bet one of the family snagged it.

Top Bottom