plastic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Micro Mesh and novus plastic polish
Both are sold by most vendors ago sell pen making supplies.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Forum runner

TerryDowning

Wet sand to 800
Buffing Wheels
Tripoli (Brown Compound)
White Rouge (AKA White Diamond)
Plastic Compound (Blue Compound)
You'll need a different buffing wheel for each compound.

Use the Search function for tips on buffing there is a ton of good advice on this site regarding buffing.

Haynie

I get sloppy wet when wet sanding. A good layer of paper towels on the lathe and slop away. Make sure you wipe off after each grit. Half way through the micro mesh I use 3m rubbing compound and again at the end followed by 3M Finesse it. Expensive stuff but I already had it when I started down this road.

azamiryou

A good layer of paper towels on the lathe and slop away.

I found that paper towels or just towels or rags can let some moisture through (bad for the ways). Plastic protects the ways better, but the water can run all over the place and make a mess.

What I found works great is plastic with a paper towel on top. The plastic protects the ways, and the paper towel absorbs the water to keep it from running everywhere. I let it dry out between sessions and reuse the same plastic and paper towel.

Everyone has their own way. I personally think sanding through every grade of MM is completely unnecessary. I wet sand starting at 400 then 600, 1000, 1500, and 2500. Then I use Meguire's scratch remover car polish. Two coats of that and I'm done.

To be honest, the only reason I go to 2500 now is because I just bought a huge supply of sandpaper from Helvicta and it is more coarse than the 1500 grit 3M paper I was using so it forces me to go to the higher grit.

I'll put my plastic/resin blanks finish up to anyones.

Not trying to be a butthead and I'm not knocking other techniques. I just do a lot of production turning and when time is of the essence, you develope the quickest way to arrive at the quality that you want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom