But they are still corn cobs

Image Insert:
2004916225854_corncobbcrannat%20005.jpg

35.3KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
John, a lot of it depends on the age of the cob and how dry it is... the stuff I am using is about 40 yrs old... we found a load of it in the old chicken coop on my FIL's farm...
The big thing is to try to drill the hole straight through the pith section of the cob.. this means you might not be able to set it up in a drilling vise the way you would a square wood blank.. think of it like a log with the pith that does not run dead true through the center...
Secondly, take light cuts until you get all the fuzzies off... you don't want to chip out the cob.. the material will chip out real quick if you get heavy handed..
Third.. when you get real close to the finished size, it is time to stabilize the cob with some CA.. DO NOT DROWN THE COB IN CA... it will turn into a piece of marble.. LOL.. you are better off doing a couple of small coatings of CA than one big one..
At this point the cutting will become harder and your tools need to be scary sharp.. I use a skew for all my pen turning and hone it frequently when doing cobs.. you can also use a good sharp scraper to get to final dimensions..
IF your final cuts are good you can start sanding with 220-320 grit.. when you get to final dimension a light coat of CA and then sand to 600 grit... a little EEE Polish and the finish of your choice...
If you want to dye the cob, do it before the CA treatments.. unless you like trying to get dye to penetrate marble.. LOL
Good luck and have fun... I am sorting out some not so good cobs to make keychains out of ... figure they will be good sellers here in Western Maryland farm country..

G

I have dyed after wet sanding with blo as in the red one above,I have dyed after CA. It takes a little blending with an alcahol wipes.
There is more than one way to skin a cat but my cobs aren't 40 years old.
The ones above are finished whith CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom