Pizza Cutter Handle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Making a gift for friends as they promised to make pizza for us. So the pizza cutter it is. For the handle...I know how acrylic holds up under wet conditions. It is durable and tends to retain it's finish. If I decide to use wood what is the best choice for durability. I'm thinking mahogany. ( a piece from our deck) or teak. They will have an oil or varnished finish as I do not work with CA. If not mahogany or teak what is the best wood for this application. Thank you, Frank

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I have been making the ones where the blade unscrews from the handle. The handle gets wiped down,as needed, and the blade assembly soaks or goes into the dishwasher.

Handle avoids the stress and the metal stuff does not care.

MTViper

I've made a few of these and ice cream scoops out of spectraply. I finish them with poly. I use the screw off handles on pizza cutters, too.

WriteON

Thanks for the replies. Cutter will from PSI with threaded insert. My fave is cocobolo. I'm still leaning toward acrylic.. I have a shaver with an acrylic handle. It looks good day after day...and a 2 years later.

WriteON

The kit calls for a 6 x 1.5 x 1.5 blank. The only chuck I have is a (shown) drill chuck. What kind of chuck do I need. What is the best all around chuck to have onboard. My only interest is pens but maybe I'll work on a few small projects.

Attachments

• CSCPENCHK2_200x200 (1).jpg
    CSCPENCHK2_200x200 (1).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 91

KenV

If it is a threaded insert, odds are that it is 3/8 by 16 threaded.

The Ruth Niles mt stopper chuck runs true and works well as a partner to your drilling chuck and live center.

WriteON

The Ruth Niles mt stopper chuck runs true and works well as a partner to your drilling chuck and live center.

Can I use it safely with a 6" blank. BTW nice system(Niles). New to me and looks like a must have. I'm looking at the Niles Stopper website and don't know where to start. What is the best all round kit. I'm using a Jet 1015. The only accessories I have right now are the PSI blank chuck and 1/2 drill chuck. Thanks

Last edited:

tonylumps

Can I use it safely with a 6" blank. BTW nice system(Niles). New to me and looks like a must have. I'm looking at the Niles Stopper website and don't know where to start. What is the best all round kit. I'm using a Jet 1015. The only accessories I have right now are the PSI blank chuck and 1/2 drill chuck. Thanks

I just sold 2 PSI 4" pizza cutters That chuck works perfect.I used cocobolla on one But still use CA. The threaded insert on the PSI is 1/2" and gets epoxied in Not like the one from Exotic Blanks where you have to tap the handle for the insert.Both makes are Really nice when done.

Top Bottom