Pistachio?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

My friend the tree service guy just called and said he had taken down a pistachio tree. How is it for turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I don't think I ever seen a postachio tree or its wood. Love to see what you come up with. Wonder if it is a green color. :)

snyiper

I just turned one for my brother on a 30-06 cartridge pen and it was sweet, nice figure, turns and finishes really nice....I like turning Pistachio.

juteck

I have one blank that is spectacular in grain and color -- I've been saving it for MY pen, just need to get around to making it now.

bruce119

I have gotten some here a wile back. Very nice figured wood but it was still a little wet I guess because it move a LOT. Be sure to give it room to move when you cut it.

sbwertz

It is pretty green. He is giving me 3 logs. I will pick them up today. I think I will anchorseal two of them and cut one up into oversized blanks and wax the ends and stack them to dry. Our average humidity here is about 10% so stuff drys fast. The olive I cut and waxed dried in less than a month and it was fresh cut. I'll post pictures, and share it if it is nicely figured.

sbwertz

Picture of pistachio log

Here is a picture of one of the logs I got. The tree was young and the heartwood is small.

IMG_2489.JPG

Tomorrow I'll cut it up and post pictures of the grain. It is about 8 or 9 inches in diameter so it won't go in the bandsaw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom