Pink Wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

This is just my day for questions, I guess.

I am looking for some pinkish wood for my niece. Her birthday is coming up and I need some pink wood for her. The first thing that came to mind was pink ivory, but that doesn't look super pink to me. Having never seen it in person, it might be more pink than I think though.

Are there any other woods that people would describe as pink? I thought about some kind of dyed burl, but have not found that in pink yet, only red. Carob is described as having some pink tones, but I would like a bit more certainty of pink-ness than that.

I want to avoid acrylic if I can, but if I can't find a nice wood, I might have to use some.

Suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

Pink ivory is clearly pink in person?

The pictures I have seen look somewhere between pink and cream, but that could be due to poor finishing and/or poor photography.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Pink ivory is clearly pink in person?

The pictures I have seen look somewhere between pink and cream, but that could be due to poor finishing and/or poor photography.

Like many woods, each "stick" is different. I got some from Keith Larrett (VisExp) a couple years ago---you may want to PM him--if he still has some, it was nice!!

mikeschurer

Pink Ivory varies from cream through pink to red. Nice to turn and takes a good finish. The other possibility is tulip wood which is a glorious mixture of cream and pink which can have dramatic figuring.

Mike the Pipe in Pangbourne on Thames

Fibonacci

It is part of a larger project using some wood that is sentimental to the family, so I am wanting the whole thing to be wood.

I don't have a problem with plastics, but I generally find that mixing wood and plastic detracts from both of them (IMO).

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
take a look at pink dogwood,, see post by louisbry in the for sale listings ,, i bought some of his blanks for my daughter's pen

Last edited:

Jim Haslett

I vote for the tulip wood. It has a wonderful grain and turns like butter.

If you are looking for really, really pink, consider analine dye. I turned a pen from American holly, sanded, the dyed and finished. It came out wonderful. They sell the dye at woodcraft, but they don't carry pink. I was able to find a color called brilliant rhodomine that is REALLY pink from this site: http://www.wdlockwood.com/main.html. The dye is a powder you mix in water. It applies very easy and does not hide the grain. Just let it dry thoroughly before a CA finish.

ren-lathe

Pink Ivory will darken

Pink Ivory will darken several shades especially if it spends much time in the sunlight. Also it usually has a very minimal grain. As several folks have already said has a lot of pink & it does not darken. I have a sample piece that is four years old and one I made for my wife about the same time and both are as pink as when they were made. My pink ivory sample has deepened several shades toward red. I still make pink ivory pens but explain to my customers that it will change shades.
Hope this helps.
Dale

Andrew Arndts

Pink Ivory varies from cream through pink to red. Nice to turn and takes a good finish. The other possibility is tulip wood which is a glorious mixture of cream and pink which can have dramatic figuring.

Mike the Pipe in Pangbourne on Thames

I would have to second Tulip wood. Fun to work and turns nice.

spnemo

I have several pink ivory, tulipwood, and flame box elder blanks. All three make nice pens, it just depends on the look that you want.

crabcreekind

Pink ivory works well, i have 3 pens out of pink ivory and they look awesome and havent crack, pretty easy to work with in my opinion.

Top Bottom