Pink Ivory Blemishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newbie who was spoiled by a gorgeous pink ivory blank I got from Woodturningz a couple of months ago. It had straight grain and an even, deep pink color. The last couple of orders, totaling 13 blanks or so, have had a number of blemishes in them. I'm referring to small black knots or long (1" or so) black streaks.

While I don't fault the supplier as these blemishes don't appear until the blanks have been turned well past round, my question has to do with the desirability of the pen made from these blanks. Is it just me, or would most people be put off by these blemishes? Would anyone buy such a pen?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have seen beautiful PI pens posted here and have ordered 2 to 4 blanks at a time from different sources as people on here recommend. I have about 12 and all are exactly like you mentioned. I have yet to get a great all pink blank, so I just gave up on that.

I have a PI "cross" about 2 1/2 by 3 inches given to me by one of my daughters. It is beautiful and deep pink. I have not been able to acquire that kind of blank. It seems that I always get the "left overs" on my orders. And being so far a way, I know a replacement will not be free.

jeffj13

IMHO, it is the blemishes that make the pen. One color, straight grain wood is boring.

I had a forum buddy who used to say that "blemishes on wood were like a beauty mark on a woman".

jeff

CrazyBear

I have to admit that I also look for knots and blemishes as that is what makes our pens stand out from the factory produced ones. I try to make my pens as colourful or as interesting as possible.

That said

If that is what you like then keep looking. I Think that if you find what you are looking for it will be down to luck.

By the way ... welcome to the forum Michael

leehljp

Member Liaison
AS to blemishes, I disagree. There are woods that look great with blemishes, and it is the blemishes that make it distinctive. Then there are some woods and some usages that blemishes will detract from its quality. I use bloodwood as accents on holly in which straight grains accent each other much better. The problem for me with the PI blanks are that they have beautiful deep pink sections and then dull grayish sections that just do not compliment each other. This is not just my opinion, but a few other people that I have shown 4 different ones to. I disassembled those pens and have the blanks in a bin somewhere.

I know that there ARE variable colors on PI that ARE beautiful, but in the dozen that I have received from three different sources, I have found only 1 blank that looks worthy of being on a nice pen. I am saving that one for a special request and am afraid to use it.

AS to blemishes: I am one that generally stays to blemishes, burls, wild/contrasting grain and knots, but there are some woods that look beautiful in straight grain. Holly is one, blood wood is another and so is a deep pink PI. A well done purple heart or yellow heart are two more.

Cav -

I will post a picture of at least one example once I get the necessary photography help from the wife. I'm afraid it will be an extreme example and not really indicative of what I am asking about as I don't think anyone would find this particular blemish attractive. I think I have a couple better examples around here somewhere and I'll keep looking for them.

As far as the other comments are concerned, I'm in Hank's camp. I truly do appreciate God's work in most all other specimens, but the straight grained, even-colored woods like holly and pink ivory realy catch my eye when the color and grain are unbroken.

However, that's merely my opinion (and Hank's) and I knew that before I posted the query. What I wanted to know was what others thought so that I could determine if there was a market for blemished pink ivory pens. It seems there is, which is good news, because it was getting expensive tossing all those "spoiled" blanks that I'd spent time and money on.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm grateful this group exists as it has provided me a wealth of information on all aspects of pen-making. I feel truly humble.

Kindest regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom