Pinecones?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

One of the students from my pen class last spring wants to turn some pinecone pens. Who out there has some pinecones for sale that are particularly suited for pens? I would like to put this guy in touch with you if possible. Thanks!

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

They don't have to be that big if you cast them in resin. I did that some time back with some Spruce cones about 3" long. I used my belt sander to get them down to just under 3/4" square forst. Not earth shaking, but I liked the overall result.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200681833244_euroUG_letterwood_pinecone.jpg
<br />

It would probably have looked even better if I'd pressure cast it.

Scott

Nice, Billy!

Part of the class I taught dealt with using difficult or unconventional materials. So we did pinecones, corncobs, tree bark - that kind of stuff. But I can't remember what kind of pinecones were recommended by people on the forums. You're right, something with a larger core. We didn't stabilize them, unless you count the CA glue! [8D]

I think I'll let him know to look around for larger cones, and maybe saw the outer part down before using them.

Thanks again!

Scott.

rhahnfl

I like that one too John! I'd wouldn't have guessed pine cone had it not been in this topic but I clearly see it now. Now I've got the desires to get out in the shop stirring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom