Pinecone pen info please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eric

Does anyone have any info on how to make a pinecone pen. The sites I've seen aren't very clear. Can you use ca to hold it together or do you need to put it in a mold with resin. If there's an option with ca I'd rather do that one so I don't have to buy anything else. My wife is getting frustrated with the cost of my new hobby.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
If she's frustrated now, try using a bottle or two of CA to fill up a pine cone!

You'd want to find someone who casts them in resin.

workinforwood

I would use a urethane resin for a pine cone. It will penetrate a bit better and be less brittle. You also need a pressure pot. Pine cones come in all shapes and sizes. The small cones must be cast in order to be used. The giant cones that have a core large enough for a pen, those are the ones that are super glued together. Basically, all the leaves are removed leaving just a core. You soak the core with the glue to strengthen it and then you drill it. As you know, most pine cones are not that large inside, but there are some types that are. All pine cones give a different effect. Every effect is a winner in my opinion. If you want a pine cone or two that already is cast in resin, PR Princess may still have a few left. Exoticblanks.com ...look for my name in the guest artist section and there might be a couple pine cones there to chose from. It might be worth buying one or two cast pine cones and giving them a spin before spending the money on equipment and casting your own. They are not expensive blanks, if she still has any left.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I know someone who uses straight CA to make pinecone pens...he uses a lot of it, however, and constantly adds it as he's turning...looks gorgeous, however, when he's done!

It might be cheaper to get setup for casting if you're planning on making a lot of them - I would think that the CA would cost more than the resin in large quantities...

Pen_Turner

Eric, I know Perry (papaturner on here) does some ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL pine cone pens. I've seen them in person. You might want to PM him or he might chime in on this thread and help us all. He's a great guy and VERY helpful too.

RDH79

pinecones

It really depends on what kind of pinecones you are using. If you can get some of the sugar pine cones that are 18 to 24 inches long ,they have a good core in them. You just cut off the tabs or whatever they are called. I have bought some from different people on here and they turned out very nice. You do have to use CA while you are turning. On the smaller cones you would have to cast them. But be careful they must be dry.

thewishman

My wife is getting frustrated with the cost of my new hobby.

It gets worse... Getting the right equipment and supplies to make really nice pens does get spendy. But after you sell a few pens, the hobby starts* to pay for itself.

*Notice the word starts. There are always more materials to try, to make, to experiment with. Always one more tool, tool rest, live center, drill bit, mandrel, sandpaper, Micro Mesh, Abranet, pen mill, drill chuck, bushing set, pen press, hone, dust control, face shield... You get the idea.

papaturner

Eric, I do indeed use the ca method. I use the longleaf pine cones the core is large enough to get a pen from them. My method is quite simple. First I cut the length about a 1/4 inch long, then soak the blanks with ca and let dry, next I drill the holes for the tubes, then soak the inside with ca, after the ca dries I then redrill to make sure the tubes will fit properly, then I cut to proper length.

Then turn with very sharp tool taking small bites very slowly adding more ca as needed. Normally a couple of soakings will do fine.

Then I finish with ca using my normal routine.
Below is a sample. Hope this will be of use for you.

Attachments

• cigar.JPG
    cigar.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 162
  • tycoon1.JPG
    tycoon1.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 166

papaturner

Perry forgot to mention..he cries while he turns the CA soaked pine cones! Those fumes are too much for my eyes to handle, regardless the results they make happen.

John, You are correct........However I now set a box fan in the window in front of my lathe and let it pull the fumes out the window. Does the trick.

Top Bottom