Pine Cone Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

owlelope

I want to try some pine cone pens. I understand that southern Georgia is a good place to find the ones that work the best for pens. I am headed down I75 in late February or early March. Where would be a good place in Georgia to pick up some pine cones fairly inexpensively or free? Is there any place else that would have good sources for pine cones?

Rod

Drstrangefart

We found some awesome ones in North Mobile, Alabama for free, and I have one in my front yard that drops ideal cones. You really want to find long needle pines so the core is big enough to use, unless you want to get into resin casting. How many you looking at picking up??

Drstrangefart

Gotcha. Keep an eye out wherever there's woods that haven't been torn down yet. You want cones that are probably far bigger than you expect. I use just the cores for it, and the cores can get to be about as thick as a broom handle. You can use much smaller cones, but you'll have to cut them to blank size, and cast them in Poly Resin or something like that, which will look a universe different from the core, but it ends up looking AMAZING. I've pulled 10 from my stockpile if you can't get them in the part of Georgia you're gonna be in. They're from 2 different breeds of tree, some have tabs, some had the tabs chewed off. The ones missing the tabs are ideal for 7mm kits, and I haven't stabilized them before turning in the past. The ones with tabs will need to be run through the bandsaw to get the tabs off, and will probably need stabilizing. I'm in West Georgia and wind up near my exit on I-20 several times a week. I'm gonna venture a guess that most of these can be used on a 10mm kit as well.

Top Bottom