Pine Cone Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

19dobey

Is there a specific type of pine species to look for when wanting to make a pen from just the core of a pine cone itself? I was looking at getting Sugar Pine Cones, but want to do more research before I go and make a long trip for no reason. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveAxelrod

View in Gallery

The bigger the pine cone the better and a larger pen will prevent you from turning too close to the core where there's no pattern. This pine cone came from the Ocala State Forest in Florida and was about 8 inches long after the squirrels chewed it to the core.

1080Wayne

Totally depends on the look you want to achieve . I would suggest experimenting a bit with different diameters and species . A loblolly pine cone could give you a 3 inch diameter pen or something totally different at normal pen size . Don`t limit yourself to pines . Many spruce cones work well . Smaller cones such as larch can be stacked in a casting and look good .

My preferred diameter for a pen would be about an inch . At 1.25 to 1.5 inch I would be thinking of bottle stoppers , shaving brushes or S&P shakers . At large loblolly size it would be boxes or bells .

papaturner

In my area the one that we can get is the cone from the long leaf pine tree. They are quite big up to 8-10 inches long and the core is a bit larger than the sugar pine(at least that is what I have found).

I prefer the cone only pen without the casting. I usually use ca to do any stabilizing that I need.

Top Bottom