Pine Blocks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StuartCovey

Ok, so I know this isn't really a penturning question but I couldn't find a forum that it fit in.

I need some pine blocks with 2" x 2" x 10" actual dimensions. I have searched all over online and can't seem to find any place that sells blocks like these.
Do any of you guys know of somewhere online I can purchase these blocks?
They don't have to be exactly that dimension just at least that.

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Not sure about in the US, but all dimensional building lumber is SPF in Canada - so a 4x4 may be spruce, pine, or fir.

You may have to do some detective work at the lumberyard to find a 4x4 in the correct species, if Pine is critical...

...or if you're not keen on cutting a 4x4, and don't mind joint lines, laminate up three 1x2s, and plane to size! :)

LeeR

If I want nice pine (not crap "white wood" at the BORG) I go to my local wood store. Good quality pine, knot-free, is typically as much as alder or poplar, and maybe more. Look for 8/4 lumber and cut up into 2X2 blocks if you have a table saw, or have the shop rip them for you.

KenV

Clear? Knots acceptable?? Any particular species of pine or grain orientation required?

As noted, lamination acceptable??

Pitch pockets acceptable? (common in some species of pine)

StuartCovey

Clear? Knots acceptable?? Any particular species of pine or grain orientation required?

As noted, lamination acceptable??

Pitch pockets acceptable? (common in some species of pine)

It's for a 4 post candle holder so I do not want to laminate two pieces together.
Knots are fine just not to many.
I know I can cut a 4x4 down, but I also know that "building" lumber like that is usually cheaper pine. So I was hoping that there was like a craft shop online with good quality pine blocks.
If there is nothing out there though, I will just cut up a 4x4.

Haynie

A 2x4 won`t work unless you have one about a hundred years old . Do you have a sawmill nearby ?

Haha, I actually do have several over 100 year old 2x4's but they all happen to be holding up my house :biggrin:

You don't need them ALL to hold up the house. I am sure your house won't miss one or two.:biggrin:

If it were me I would call a lumber mill if you have one near you. Getting super picky at the lumber store 4x4 section might work too. I am not adverse to culling through an entire stack to find that ONE right board. The lumber people get irritated but I figure as long as I stack it back up they have no cause to gripe.

StuartCovey

Haha, I actually do have several over 100 year old 2x4's but they all happen to be holding up my house :biggrin:

You don't need them ALL to hold up the house. I am sure your house won't miss one or two.:biggrin:

If it were me I would call a lumber mill if you have one near you. Getting super picky at the lumber store 4x4 section might work too. I am not adverse to culling through an entire stack to find that ONE right board. The lumber people get irritated but I figure as long as I stack it back up they have no cause to gripe.

Yup, I think I'm just going to get picky at Lowes this week. I might need to restack the whole pile, but hey it's worth it to get that one 4x4 :biggrin:

stonepecker

I would go visit my local saw mills. They can cut anything to size. Have it over sized and plane it down. Then a skill/table saw to length.
They usually will cut something for me and help me pick out what is the 'best' wood.

Top Bottom